Author Topic: Oil leak  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Q247

• Pro
    • View Profile
Oil leak
« on: July 05, 2010, 09:57:02 AM »
'05 RM-Z450, there's oil leaking from the area where the cylinder head cover meets the cylinder head. There's always been " a little" leak, but it's gotten worse. A few years ago (before I knew better) I torqued down the head cover bolts too tight and stripped the holes in which they go. The local mechanic's solution was to use inserts in the holes and turn-down the bolts to a smaller size (to fit the inserts). Does this make sense? Anyway, now I'm getting this oil leak and I'm wondering if I haven't over-tightened the bolts again so that they won't torque down properly. It's either that or I need to replace the rubber gasket that goes between the cover & the cylinder head (but it looks fine), or...? I've tried using Yamabond to help seal it with no luck. What's my next move?
www.PanicRev.org
SixSixOne
Factory Backing

Offline kawi412

• Amateur
    • View Profile
Re: Oil leak
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 10:20:38 AM »
Throw some sort of gasket sealant/bond on it and see how it works out.  Had a customer with the same issue but on a honda and it seemed to work fine

Offline STREETS

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 10:28:19 AM »
Replace the rubber gasket. Use yamabond or something similar on the valve cover side only, and clean the head side.
STREETS SPECIALTIES
DCR  -  Daniel Crower Racing
The feeling of enjoyment/excitement that we experience when riding/racing is what keeps us coming back for more!

Offline Q247

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 11:50:19 AM »
Tried Yamabond but I put it on the cylinder side. I'm thinking I'll replace the gasket and use Yamabond on it as well and see what happens.
www.PanicRev.org
SixSixOne
Factory Backing

Offline nickvalve

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 08:59:06 AM »
Where exactly is the ' leak '? in the front or rear or either side ? Or can you even tell .

Offline Q247

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 12:22:38 PM »
Seems to be leaking down the front of the cylinder coming from where the head cover meets the head. Has to be the rubber gasket or the fact that the holes/bolts are stripped & the cover won't torque down tight enough (or both).
www.PanicRev.org
SixSixOne
Factory Backing