Author Topic: KYB Factory Connection clicker help  (Read 2747 times)

Offline AMA714

• Amateur
    • View Profile
KYB Factory Connection clicker help
« on: May 03, 2016, 11:59:21 AM »
Hey guys, I just picked up a 12 CRF with FC suspension and am trying to understand what may be going on with the feel upfront.

Bike was supposed to be set up for a fast 175lb Intermediate, but on certain steep jump faces were you hit the face hard, I am blowing through the stroke.
Knowing that, I went up to .49 springs and back to stock oil height. As a +40 190lb rider I would expect that it wouldn't be that far off for me.. Anyone know how stiff FC sets up a bike for 175 fast kid??

I have been on RG3 stuff for years so, im not 100% sure what was done to valving up front. It doesn't seem to like having the rebound in past 8-9 clicks out or it packs up and becomes even worse when you hit jumps at speed. And I cant get enough comp to stop the bottoming. Do they do something funky where the rebound and comp dont play well?

The rear has the remote resi bladder, linkage and is really good. Maybe even better than what Ive had in the past with RG3.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 01:11:08 PM by AMA714 »

Offline flipside

• Pro
  • N2dirtsuspension
    • View Profile
    • N2dirtsuspension
Re: KYB Factory Connection clicker help
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 01:38:38 PM »
The front end is getting over-powered by the rear. This is because of the chassis design. If it has a link on it then it will be worse. First thing to do is get rid of the link and change out the knuckle assembly to balance out the chassis.

The front end may feel better after this, however my experience with FC there isn't that much special about their settings. They  just like to get in there and polish things. A good bottoming system helps as well.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:28:54 PM by flipside »

Offline the1904kid

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 10:48:15 AM »
If you don't feel like diagnosing, FC will re-valve the forks to your specs for free if you pay for a service ($109 w/o parts or fluids).  They would re-spring for free too if they were FC springs installed when you bought it.

Offline AMA714

• Amateur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 01:50:14 PM »
I pulled them apart last night.
Seems that my inner chamber did not have as much oil as I would have thought, outer was right were I had put it.
Drained everything, filled inner to spec, added outer to where i had run in the last couple CRF's.

Guess we will see what happens now.

Offline flipside

• Pro
  • N2dirtsuspension
    • View Profile
    • N2dirtsuspension
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 02:05:43 PM »
Turning clickers won't help in that case. :lol:

I never fill the inner to spec. Always overfill.

So either they didn't get bled right in the first place or the seals leaked.

Offline Shamus

• Pro
  • Google Shawn's Peformance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 10:09:28 AM »
If you're bottoming the fork on jump face, there's not enough low speed in the stack. Cranking in the clickers would be a race day bandaid, and just make it harsh as hell. Stiffer springs aren't the answer either unless they're wrong from the get go and are too soft to begin with. But being 190+ You could probably use a .50 spring. Or more preload in the .49s.

Fast intermediate is a relative term.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 10:31:44 AM by Shamus »
The meek shall inherit the earth - a scorched, un-inhabitable earth. Shawn's Performance- Engine and Suspension mods. Two stroke and four strokes.

valleyofdoom

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 03:32:13 PM »
i had a couple of these bike and did have FC do them. They set them up on the softer side, always! I would go to .50 springs for sure and get the oil height dialed by weather you are still bottoming or not. Put in new springs, ride. If you are still bottoming add 10 cc oil till it doesn't. FC valving is pretty good I think, just under sprung.