Author Topic: 2 stroke intake question  (Read 3827 times)

Offline NACNAC#721

• Pro
  • Keep It Simple Stupid.
    • View Profile
2 stroke intake question
« on: April 16, 2014, 03:41:07 PM »
 I read that it is better to leave the fuel intake port rough for better fuel atomization? Is this true?
OLDRELIABLE144  IG

Offline racerxx

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
Re: 2 stroke intake question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 07:06:08 PM »
In a two stroke engine I believe air flow is the key to power smoothing out all surfaces will make a difference. I like to clean up the intake, transfer and exhaust ports on any stock cylinder. The performance gain is noticeable I don't modify anything just clean things up.
Oneal, Factory Effex, Gaerne, Renthal, ASV Levers, Noleen J6, Eks Brand

billyghog

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 11:35:04 PM »
The only reason to leave the intake port rough is to encourage the development of a turbulent boundary layer that is less likely to separate and cause a flow restriction than a laminar boundary layer.  The only reason to do this is if you have a lot of bends in the intake tract (typically not an issue in a two stroke) or a diverging profile greater than about 7 degrees (also unlikely an issue in a two stroke, though that depends on the design).  Smoothing the roughness will create an infinitesimal increase the cross section area, so there may be some negligible change due to a lower flow velocity.  Either way, smoothing it out or leaving it at the stock roughness, I would bet neither you nor a dyno would see any appreciable difference.

Offline NACNAC#721

• Pro
  • Keep It Simple Stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 11:44:54 PM »
ok thanks for the input,appreciate it.
OLDRELIABLE144  IG

Offline nickvalve

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 07:55:56 AM »
Anyone who ports for a living will tell you intake tracts need to have a rough finish and exhausts only need polishing to reduce carbon build-up. By rough I dont mean to clean it up with a hammer and a chisel. 220 grit sanding drums gives a nice finish. The finish promotes atomization and prevents fuel from puddling or falling out of suspension.

Offline NACNAC#721

• Pro
  • Keep It Simple Stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 11:07:49 AM »
Anyone who ports for a living will tell you intake tracts need to have a rough finish and exhausts only need polishing to reduce carbon build-up. By rough I dont mean to clean it up with a hammer and a chisel. 220 grit sanding drums gives a nice finish. The finish promotes atomization and prevents fuel from puddling or falling out of suspension.

That's similar to what I read online when I did some research Nickvalve. I just wanted to confirm it with the pro ride experts!  8)  It's already rough from the cast process, so I will just leave it alone. I was really looking forward to getting at it with a sledge and chisel  :P :P

Appreciate the reply Nick Valve. Any good suspension setups for an 05 yz250?  :P
OLDRELIABLE144  IG

Offline Hack-Man162

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 11:23:53 AM »

Appreciate the reply Nick Valve. Any good suspension setups for an 05 yz250?  :P

Yeah, throw the forks in the trash, and get a set of SSS (06+).  :shock:  :D
--Hack-Man162

"I hate elections. It's a reminder of just how many stupid people are in the USA"  --Blue622

Offline NACNAC#721

• Pro
  • Keep It Simple Stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 12:11:03 PM »

Yeah, throw the forks in the trash, and get a set of SSS (06+).  :shock:  :D

:lol: :lol: tru true
OLDRELIABLE144  IG

Offline nickvalve

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 07:51:47 AM »
Open Chamber KYB is good stuff , it doesnt scare me one bit.

Offline Hack-Man162

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 07:55:18 AM »
Open Chamber KYB is good stuff , it doesnt scare me one bit.

I liked the pre-'05 open chamber forks...then they released the '05 experiments....but promptly fixed it in '06.
--Hack-Man162

"I hate elections. It's a reminder of just how many stupid people are in the USA"  --Blue622