Author Topic: '12 KX450F bogging and FI light code? ****FIXED****  (Read 38094 times)

Offline Zeke27G

• Peicks
  • Pro
  • Do It In The Dirt!!
    • View Profile
'12 KX450F bogging and FI light code? ****FIXED****
« on: June 07, 2012, 06:57:21 AM »
My bike has roughly 35-40 Hours on it...

At Milestone last weekend I noticed occasionally bogging when I really get on the throttle hard. It's a really small bog... I was still able to make the triple after the whoops on the main!! :shock: :lol:

I've noticed several times that when I start the bike, the FI light comes on and goes away but then a solid light will come on and stay on. I'll turn the bike off and start it again, it goes away.

I read on thumper talk that I should check all of the electrical connections and grease them with di-electric grease.

Would it be smart to replace the fuel filter as well?

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:27:52 PM by Zeke27G »

Offline zman

• Peicks
  • Pro
  • Noob
    • View Profile
Re: '12 KX450F bogging and FI light code?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:02:19 AM »
When my KTM does that its usually yhe filter getting plugged

Offline Zeke27G

• Peicks
  • Pro
  • Do It In The Dirt!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 07:04:50 AM »
When my KTM does that its usually yhe filter getting plugged

Fuel or air filter?

valleyofdoom

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 07:07:41 AM »
my buddy's 12 kx did the same, fuel filter, oh, so did my 12 honda with only 20 hrs, not dirt, it was like a gell or ? ethenol?

Offline zman

• Peicks
  • Pro
  • Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 08:30:49 AM »
Fuel filter

Offline RacerDad

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »
Fuel filter

The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump. Aprox $350.00 ouch

Offline zman

• Peicks
  • Pro
  • Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 09:41:33 AM »
Dammm KTM is 20.00 for 3

I started runnin a tank sock also to help prevent clogging 

http://www.split-stream.com/

Offline RacerDad

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Dammm KTM is 20.00 for 3

I started runnin a tank sock also to help prevent clogging 

http://www.split-stream.com/

I just ordered one for my KX. Thanks

Offline PJ205

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 11:17:07 AM »
I had the same problem at about the same amount of hours I think.

FUEL FILTER:

Cleaned it by cutting an empty gallon jug of water open, putting half an inch of gas in it, then letting the filter soak in it. Also use contact cleaner before this to try and get out as much sand as I could. That fixed it for me... Pretty easy to do too... Just have to pull apart the fuel pump.

949mx

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 11:44:07 AM »
if u read the manual it tells u how to check the codes... i had a problem w/ my sons bike where the light came on too. it may be the head temp sensor connection or some other electrical connection.

Offline ML512

• Pro
    • View Profile
    • www.512Testing.com
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 02:00:15 PM »
U can take the fuel pump out and clean it (warning about today's fuel in EFI bikes, DO NOT leave anything in it over a week they are more touchy than carb's when it comes to fuel degrading) Do not run cheap off brand fuel (such as arco) stay name brand like chevron or shell. If the problem persists u may have to take the injector out and clean it. It can also be an electrical problem such as the coolant temp sensor on the back of the cylinder going bad.
You can find me doing my real job at 512Testing.com (It just takes you to my YouTube Channel)

Offline rlmxracer

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 04:56:13 PM »
U can take the fuel pump out and clean it (warning about today's fuel in EFI bikes, DO NOT leave anything in it over a week they are more touchy than carb's when it comes to fuel degrading) Do not run cheap off brand fuel (such as arco) stay name brand like chevron or shell. If the problem persists u may have to take the injector out and clean it. It can also be an electrical problem such as the coolant temp sensor on the back of the cylinder going bad.
BS, all the gasoline comes through the same pipe lines and gets switched all the time. Read up noting #3 http://www.smartmoney.com/spend/rip-offs/what-gas-stations-wont-tell-you-19750/.

3. My gas isn t better for your car; it s just more expensive.

Oil companies spend lots of money explaining why their gas is better than the competition s. Chevron s gas, for example, is fortified with Techron, and Amoco Ultimate is supposed to save the planet along with your engine. But today more than ever, one gallon of gas is as good as the next.

True, additives help to clean your engine, but what the companies don t tell you is that all gas has them. Since 1994 the government has required that detergents be added to all gasoline to help prevent fuel injectors from clogging. State and local regulators keep a close watch to make sure those standards are met; a 2005 study indicated that Florida inspectors checked 45,000 samples to ensure the state s gas supply was up to snuff, and 99 percent of the time it was. There s little difference between brand-name gas and any other, says AAA spokesperson Geoff Sundstrom.

What s more, your local Chevron station may sell gas refined by Shell or Exxon Mobil. Suppliers share pipelines, so they all use the same fuel. And the difference between the most expensive brand-name gas and the lowliest gallon of no-brand fuel? Often just a quart of detergent added to an 8,000-gallon tanker truck.

02 & 06 YZ250 2 smokes of course. #418
PM me about baseball/softball glove relacing and conditioning.

Offline fishing fool

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 07:04:13 PM »
And I will add BS to your BS...
It does make a diffrence. Costco gas is old gas with no additives at all. It might even be gas from a diffrent season. The additives make a diffrents in the "quality" of the burn.

You are correct that gas comes from a pipeline and Chevron gas might be made from Shell. But Arco is cheap ass gas with no additives at all.

BS, all the gasoline comes through the same pipe lines and gets switched all the time. Read up noting #3 http://www.smartmoney.com/spend/rip-offs/what-gas-stations-wont-tell-you-19750/.

3. My gas isn t better for your car; it s just more expensive.

Oil companies spend lots of money explaining why their gas is better than the competition s. Chevron s gas, for example, is fortified with Techron, and Amoco Ultimate is supposed to save the planet along with your engine. But today more than ever, one gallon of gas is as good as the next.

True, additives help to clean your engine, but what the companies don t tell you is that all gas has them. Since 1994 the government has required that detergents be added to all gasoline to help prevent fuel injectors from clogging. State and local regulators keep a close watch to make sure those standards are met; a 2005 study indicated that Florida inspectors checked 45,000 samples to ensure the state s gas supply was up to snuff, and 99 percent of the time it was. There s little difference between brand-name gas and any other, says AAA spokesperson Geoff Sundstrom.

What s more, your local Chevron station may sell gas refined by Shell or Exxon Mobil. Suppliers share pipelines, so they all use the same fuel. And the difference between the most expensive brand-name gas and the lowliest gallon of no-brand fuel? Often just a quart of detergent added to an 8,000-gallon tanker truck.

#746  Broken leg and do not ride.
2011 RzR 4  with age comes a cage.

Offline mxdad511

• Amateur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 07:59:24 PM »
The point you are missing is the cleanliness of the tanker delivering the fuel into the tank and the cleanliness of the tank. Most major oils have gone to common carriers to save them money, so a tanker may have delivered diesel just prior to going back to the rack and picking up some premium.

Additionally, the cleanliness of the tank and the type of filters they use is a major issue. Chevron filters their gas at the pump in the tank and at every dispenser. They utilize different filters too. One filter is 5 micron for dirt, the other is to remove water. They are the only major oil company doing this.

Chevron also has a very strict tank cleaning program. Unocal and Mobil only do it when they fill a car with water or the amount of dirt in the bottom of the tank covers the turbine inlet , thus pumping sludge up to the dispensers clogging the filters causing a slow flow condition at the nozzle.

I spent 12 years in petroleum as a maintenance/construction contractor. After everything I've seen I try to use Chevron fuel first and Shell as an alternate. I wouldn't run Unocal or Mobil in my weedeater...

Offline langhammx

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
The point you are missing is the cleanliness of the tanker delivering the fuel into the tank and the cleanliness of the tank. Most major oils have gone to common carriers to save them money, so a tanker may have delivered diesel just prior to going back to the rack and picking up some premium.

Additionally, the cleanliness of the tank and the type of filters they use is a major issue. Chevron filters their gas at the pump in the tank and at every dispenser. They utilize different filters too. One filter is 5 micron for dirt, the other is to remove water. They are the only major oil company doing this.

Chevron also has a very strict tank cleaning program. Unocal and Mobil only do it when they fill a car with water or the amount of dirt in the bottom of the tank covers the turbine inlet , thus pumping sludge up to the dispensers clogging the filters causing a slow flow condition at the nozzle.

I spent 12 years in petroleum as a maintenance/construction contractor. After everything I've seen I try to use Chevron fuel first and Shell as an alternate. I wouldn't run Unocal or Mobil in my weedeater...
Hmmmm... Interesting !! I've always tried to stick with 76 (Unocal)
Chevron and Texaco use the same card, as does Mobil and Exxon. Does that mean their gas is the same or ....?  I have never gotten gas at an ARCO or COSTCO, there is a reason it's so cheap.  :?