Author Topic: Air Filter & Oil Question...  (Read 5416 times)

Offline Zeke27G

• Peicks
  • Pro
  • Do It In The Dirt!!
    • View Profile
Air Filter & Oil Question...
« on: December 04, 2011, 05:21:11 PM »
So what's the preferred brand of filter and filter oil?

I had a K&N on my last 450, wasn't impressed and I have a NoToil wash/oil/rim grease kit, probably use that stuff up meanwhile unless there is a better wash and oil system around?

Thanks in advance!

Offline flipside

• Pro
  • N2dirtsuspension
    • View Profile
    • N2dirtsuspension
Re: Air Filter & Oil Question...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 06:09:56 PM »
uni. fft or the spayon maxima or uni spray on is good too.

Offline Shamus

• Pro
  • Google Shawn's Peformance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 09:54:25 PM »
One of those foam gaskets that stick to the filter face part in the air box eliminates the need for the grease on the filter too. Flip can sell ya one, no doubt.

Ive been running that Maxima FFT forever. Great stuff. I use the OEM filters on my Honda's. Uni's are pretty good. The TwinAir filters are glued together and the glue can be a problem sometimes.
The meek shall inherit the earth - a scorched, un-inhabitable earth. Shawn's Performance- Engine and Suspension mods. Two stroke and four strokes.

Offline Sidewinder

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 11:00:06 AM »
Stock, Uni, Or Twin Air filter and No Toil oil and cleaner. 

Offline crfspode54

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 05:26:51 PM »
yeah , i just switched to no toil...its awesome. dont really know what took me so long. the clean up is so easy...and a pc filter seal instead of grease.
" ...in dirt we trust...  "

Offline langhammx

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 08:16:51 PM »
TWIN AIR has been a good filter for me, never had any problems with the glue. I only use the Kal-Gard spray cleaner (because I had cases of it), I know gas can cause the glue to loosen... UNI filters have always been a pain in the ass with the dual filters to clean. I would STRONGLY suggest staying away from ALL cheap/throw away filters (No Toil, etc.) They don't filter the dirt/dust very well and tend to rip.

The TWIN AIR (blue) spray is the best stuff money can buy, but it is hard to find, if they even make it anymore. Kal Gard spray or Maxima spray works good too.

I haven't used grease on the filter in 15 years. No piston scratching, nothing in the boot (EVER), I think that it's over-rated and a pain in the ass to clean all the time. That's so 1970's Zeke... :lol:  PC gasket won't hurt, but it's not necessary.

Offline Fractured Vet

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.motovationsports.com
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 08:19:51 PM »
I haven't used grease on the filter in 15 years.

Me either.  Or gaskets.   :lol: :lol:   You're more apt to get dust through the filter than where it is squeezed between the cage and the airbox.  The pistons I take out of my bikes never have more than the normal wear. 
"The graveyards are full of indispensable men" -Charles de Gaulle

Offline RacerDad

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 08:30:32 PM »
Stockers or Uni Filters. The duel filters are no problem. Clean them old school with gas is a bucket, dry out & use spray on filter oil. Been working fine for years.

Offline Matt Fisher

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 08:01:47 AM »
DT-1 (they make the Moose filters) here.  Outstanding quality 2 layer foam like Twin Air, and the neoprene seal is built into the filter. I've begun using their oil, and it seems to be great too.  Easy to apply, easy to clean up with their filter cleaner.  For wet conditions I like the Maxima non-spray oil, it seems to do the best job of repelling water.

I have found that the No-Toil oil is a big no-no when there's water around.  Water and very fine suspended particles travel through a no-toil equipped filter like a sieve.  Had a rebuild a motor once (that was only a few hours old) due to that, not fun.

Offline wreckt'm

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 02:31:26 PM »
If you are damaging the glue on your filters you are probably using gas to clean them. You should be using kero/diesel or the correct (expensive) fluid.

Offline ssav310

• Amateur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 03:26:28 PM »
If you are damaging the glue on your filters you are probably using gas to clean them. You should be using kero/diesel or the correct (expensive) fluid.
No-Toil is amazing.

All American KTM, Maxima Oils, Precision Concepts Suspension, One Industr

Offline Inoculation

• Expert
  • Unsubscribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 07:45:12 PM »
Nothing cleans as good a s a gasoline wash followed by a washing machine run with hot water.  FFT or twin air for the filter oil.  I use maxima waterproof grease on all my air filter/air boot lip, but for moto only, it's really not necessary.  If you run anywhere in the sand, USE THE GREASE!

Offline langhammx

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 07:38:54 PM »
Nothing cleans as good a s a gasoline wash followed by a washing machine run with hot water.  FFT or twin air for the filter oil.  I use maxima waterproof grease on all my air filter/air boot lip, but for moto only, it's really not necessary.  If you run anywhere in the sand, USE THE GREASE!
Not needed. I ride mostly dusty conditions, including sand washes on a regular basis and NEVER get any sand in my air boot or carb. The newer filters/airboxes are better that the bikes we rode in the 70's/80's.

Offline Shamus

• Pro
  • Google Shawn's Peformance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 11:24:31 PM »

Kerosene or Diesel work as well as gas but dont attack the glue. Mineral spirits works too. Gasoline is too close to the solvent used in the glue.
The meek shall inherit the earth - a scorched, un-inhabitable earth. Shawn's Performance- Engine and Suspension mods. Two stroke and four strokes.

Offline Inoculation

• Expert
  • Unsubscribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 07:04:55 PM »
Not needed. I ride mostly dusty conditions, including sand washes on a regular basis and NEVER get any sand in my air boot or carb. The newer filters/airboxes are better that the bikes we rode in the 70's/80's.
How many times have you checked your cylinder wall?  The sand will pass through the boot/carb/throttle body and wreak havoc on your internals.  I've torn down too many top ends that have been "sanded" because the owner didn't want to use a quarters worth of messy grease.....It was more of an issue back a few decades, but it's a simple application of preventative maintenance.