Author Topic: How do you like your ribs?  (Read 1809 times)

Offline ChuckMoto

• Expert
    • View Profile
How do you like your ribs?
« on: April 28, 2022, 03:48:02 PM »
Tomorrow 4/29 will 14 days since I clipped a rock on my dual sport and in the process, took a handle bar to the rib cage. (no chest protector) Since the day after the crash, that rib hasn't really gotten any better. I'll go a couple days with less pain, feeling like I'm finally healing, then (like today), one funny move and I'm back to the amount of pain I had on day 1. I've read plenty that rib injuries are painful, and take a while to heal, and being that there is hardly even a bruise to show, I doubt I broke anything, except the peg on the bike. Is a two week old rib injury that still hurts a reason to contact my doctor? I could have already done that but I figure the ProRide group has more experience with ribs injuries than my doctor.  :lol:

Offline SLAPAHO

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
Re: How do you like your ribs?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 04:36:29 PM »
It's probably either broken or cracked. I've broken ribs at least 3 times, never had a bruise. It used to take at least 6 to 8 weeks to heal fully when i was younger.. it would probably take 6 months now  :lol:
Get one of those inexpensive rib braces to wear at home, they seem to really help keep them in place until they heal..

Offline B-DUB#15

• Pro
  • #SDA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 07:53:50 PM »
Chuckmoto...14 days isn't much for ribs to start to heal up.   You should get them checked out as just a precaution but they do take a long time to properly heal like Lou said....especially as we get older.

Photo by Matt "Motohawk" Hawkins!

Offline ChuckMoto

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 10:50:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I ordered a rib brace. I have a 125 mile dual sport ride coming up in two weeks. (Palms to Pines) Hopefully I’m a little better by then.  Already paid for the ride. (  8)

Offline Pokey

• Peicks
  • Pro
  • ProRide Solute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 12:16:08 PM »
I've broken plenty of ribs, the rib injury hands down was the most painful was having bars go between my ribs.   They were separated and not broke or fractured, just tore the meat in between, it didn't even break the skin, although I swore it felt like I had a flap of skin missing.   I had such discoloring of the skin, that section I looked like a corpse.  Plus I had to have my arm strapped down to limit movement.  The healing process was roughly 5 or 6 months.   

Thanks O'neal, Factory Effex, Amsoil, Motion Pro, LEATT & Polycare Automotive

Offline ChuckMoto

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 10:09:55 AM »
Turned out I had nothing broken, just tissue injury. Have been on light duty at work for two weeks and stopped all moto/mtb riding and am probably 90 percent healed. Lesson learned! Now I get to shop for a chest pro that'll work with my Atlas neck brace.

Offline crc245

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 02:58:25 PM »
ChuckMoto: I wear this one with my Atlas, no clearance problems  8)

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-rib-cage-roost-guard

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Pro
  • #SDA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 07:32:44 AM »
Rub some Tussin on them and get back out there.

Offline Zeke27G

• Peicks
  • Pro
  • Do It In The Dirt!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 06:05:16 AM »

Dry rubbed and smoked. 8)

Offline B-DUB#15

• Pro
  • #SDA
    • View Profile