Author Topic: clutch plates and fibers stuck together  (Read 277 times)

Offline mxracer71

• Novice
    • View Profile
clutch plates and fibers stuck together
« on: February 10, 2019, 06:29:28 PM »
So im having this issue with my sons ktm 65. I took it apart, cleaned everything well and scotchbrite the friction plates. Put it back together and it was good for the weekend. Two weeks later they are stuck again. Enough where i have to get a screwdriver and pry them apart. What causes this? never had an issue before. I use maxima 75wt and he only uses the clutch when he starts and stops. Clutch itself looks brand new.

Offline Shamus

• Pro
  • Google Shawn's Peformance
    • View Profile
Re: clutch plates and fibers stuck together
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 06:56:49 PM »
It's two things. 1. The friction material they used and 2. The fibers and the steels get mated together pretty quickly.

Try some of that Honda trans oil that looks like ATF. Being a lighter weight, it may not stick as bad. The clutch in my Hodaka...OMG...It was insane. My Dad would sit on the thing with the front wheel against the garage, rev it up, pull in the clutch and then stomp it into gear to free up the clutch. The friction material on those plates was some form of cork. Maybe look at different (brand) fibers if changing the oil doesn't help.
The meek shall inherit the earth - a scorched, un-inhabitable earth. Shawn's Performance- Engine and Suspension mods. Two stroke and four strokes.

Offline fofity

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 06:57:38 PM »
My kids 18 husky 65 does the same thing. Change the oil every 2/3 hours. That has kept it from happening

Offline B-DUB#15

• Pro
  • #SDA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 07:28:27 PM »
It's two things. 1. The friction material they used and 2. The fibers and the steels get mated together pretty quickly.

Try some of that Honda trans oil that looks like ATF. Being a lighter weight, it may not stick as bad. The clutch in my Hodaka...OMG...It was insane. My Dad would sit on the thing with the front wheel against the garage, rev it up, pull in the clutch and then stomp it into gear to free up the clutch. The friction material on those plates was some form of cork. Maybe look at different (brand) fibers if changing the oil doesn't help.
Cork Fibers. :x  That sure brings back (bad) memories...same deal on my Ossa. :lol:

Solid advice on changing up the plates and fibers (don't go cheap), oil, and frequency of oil changes. 8)

R.I.P Zaca Station              Thanks CHAOS!

Offline Fractured Vet

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.motovationsports.com
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 07:52:31 PM »

Cork Fibers. :x  That sure brings back (bad) memories...same deal on my Ossa. :lol:

Solid advice on changing up the plates and fibers (don't go cheap), oil, and frequency of oil changes. 8)

Were those Ossa bikes fast enough to outrun the tyrannosaurus and pterodactls?

Quote from: '6IX'
You are simply an a**hole sometimes.
"The graveyards are full of indispensable men" -Charles de Gaulle

Offline B-DUB#15

• Pro
  • #SDA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 08:59:14 PM »

Were those Ossa bikes fast enough to outrun the tyrannosaurus and pterodactls?
Mine was but now that you mention it we did always seem to lose a few racers out north of Four Corners.  Hmmmm....

Oh and its not "pterodactls", it's "pterodactyls" ~ Killer

R.I.P Zaca Station              Thanks CHAOS!