Author Topic: WTB - A full size starter bike?  (Read 196 times)

Offline chris64

• Pro
    • View Profile
    • You should download my app.  It's free!  And give it 5 stars!
WTB - A full size starter bike?
« on: September 13, 2018, 02:37:22 PM »
My son (14) who was enjoying BMX for a while has not been that into it lately.  I've been bugging him that he has to do something and he countered with some interest in trying dirt bikes  :shock: :) :D.  He wasn't into them as a kid and I wasn't going to push him into riding if he didn't want to.  But he's also at an age where I want him to have some outlets.

Like everything, I don't know if this hobby will stick, so I'm looking for a cheap starter bike.  I'm not even really sure what that would be for someone his size (5' 9").  I considered a TTR type but we'd likely be riding at tracks and I almost think that would be more dangerous not having the suspension or power.  I was browsing CL for a 125 but those seem to be pretty sought after.  I have a YZ250 still so premix is actually a plus.  Another option would be for me to get a 450 and let him ride my 250 but that's a tough sell for the wife (oh, so it's all about you!  :lol:).  And that might be a lot of bike for a first timer but he won't fit on an 80.  Any thoughts?

Also looking for some cheap size 10' boots.  Maybe a medium helmet that's close to new (Basically no hits/crashes).  I have a few helmets that he can probably wear.  Figures I threw out my old boots though  :?.

Offline cmotodad

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: WTB - A full size starter bike?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 03:09:40 PM »
How into BMX is he? I assume he has some decent pedalling skills that would translate over to a dirt bike. At 5'9", I would think he would be able to ride a 125 with some off track practice. Once accustomed to the the clutch and throttle aspectof riding he can make the move to the tracks with you. If you are tool savvy maybe a bit of a project bike would help introduce him to the mechanical needs and responsibilities of riding. With the benefit of spending some father/son time. Make the wife happy too. Good Luck and make it fun.

Offline kb

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 04:26:59 PM »
How into BMX is he? I assume he has some decent pedalling skills that would translate over to a dirt bike. At 5'9", I would think he would be able to ride a 125 with some off track practice. Once accustomed to the the clutch and throttle aspectof riding he can make the move to the tracks with you. If you are tool savvy maybe a bit of a project bike would help introduce him to the mechanical needs and responsibilities of riding. With the benefit of spending some father/son time. Make the wife happy too. Good Luck and make it fun.
I agree-  :D Nothing like doing this with your kids! A possible option, maybe a 250f might be easier to start out with
at 5'9", Desto's daughter Kristina's bike looks to be a pretty good deal, just a thought...Anyway, I'm size 10, pm me
& I'll hook you up with a spare pair I have-

Offline Matt Fisher

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 10:22:47 AM »
I have a TTR125LE that my friend set the suspension up on.  It's a freakin' blast to ride on the track.  Confidence inspiring, it's just so much fun to ride. 

That said, at 5'9" and with a BMX background he'll likely find a 125 pinger to be perfect.

Offline chris64

• Pro
    • View Profile
    • You should download my app.  It's free!  And give it 5 stars!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 01:13:36 PM »
How into BMX is he? ...

to clarify, he raced BMX and he's ok.  He doesn't jump at all, which part of me doesn't get because I used to love jumping my bike, but I also get because race jumps aren't bail-friendly.  If you're crashing on a jump your getting road rash.

I think he'd like MX and having a little control in the air to jump without feeling like a lawn-dart.

Offline Evoracer

• Amateur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 03:22:01 PM »
As much as I am a two stroke rider, I started my daughter off on a 250f. It was pretty painless.
Racer X: "Your brother just said you suck."

Offline scootin newton

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 02:41:09 PM »
Have an 05 yz125 for sale