Author Topic: Hydraulic jack question  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Poolio

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
Hydraulic jack question
« on: August 20, 2018, 06:11:05 PM »
I have a hydraulic bike stand that won't go as high as it used to and creeps down if the safety bar isn't in place. Internet got me nothing except they don't make them anymore. (Team Hawg Scissor jack) Anyone ever work on these things ? After watching this video I think maybe it's just low on fluid and needs to be bled. Any thoughts ?  I should be able to add some fork oil to make up the difference ? Is hydraulic fluid differnet than fork oil ? Isn't all oil hydraulic oil ? As long as it doesn't squish it should be good ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXXt2oGXvmo
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning

Offline DRX350

• Pro
  • DRX IN EFFECT
    • View Profile
    • Mobile industrial Equipment repair
Re: Hydraulic jack question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 05:56:21 AM »
Sounds to me like the seals on the Piston are bypassing, could also be the lock valve.

I work on Hydraulics a lot, mostly powered hydraulics on tractors and such, but the same principles apply. The first thing you can try is thicker oil Just for kicks and giggles.

Ultimately, the proper fix is to strip it down and pull all of the seals, go get them matched up at a hydraulic shop and reassemble. Depending where you live, I can recommend a place for you. Always use tractor hydraulic fluid on reassembly, easier on the seals.
#advbob
@rjg967

"Ah yeah, I meant to do that"

Offline Poolio

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 09:11:49 AM »
Sounds to me like the seals on the Piston are bypassing, could also be the lock valve.

I work on Hydraulics a lot, mostly powered hydraulics on tractors and such, but the same principles apply. The first thing you can try is thicker oil Just for kicks and giggles.

Ultimately, the proper fix is to strip it down and pull all of the seals, go get them matched up at a hydraulic shop and reassemble. Depending where you live, I can recommend a place for you. Always use tractor hydraulic fluid on reassembly, easier on the seals.

Thanks Bob I'll try the thicker oil and make sure it's topped off. I would just swap it out with another bottle jack but the one that's in there is custom to work on that stand. It has a pedal instead of a screw to release it and both ends are custom too. It's bitchin, when it works...  :lol:
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning

Offline DRX350

• Pro
  • DRX IN EFFECT
    • View Profile
    • Mobile industrial Equipment repair
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 04:34:17 PM »
If that still doesn't work, let me know. I can take it to one of my shots and have them rebuild it for you. Or if it's easy I do it
#advbob
@rjg967

"Ah yeah, I meant to do that"