Author Topic: Honda XR650L clutch woes  (Read 555 times)

Offline Bertman

• Expert
    • View Profile
Honda XR650L clutch woes
« on: July 10, 2018, 06:01:58 PM »
Just replaced the clutch on my Ď06 XR650L. New fibers, new steel, new springs and fresh oil. Fire it up, set proper oil level.....go to put it in gear and it stalls. Try again and clutch wonít fully disengage! Normal free play at lever. Thoughts??

Kickstand and all!

Offline B-DUB#15

• Pro
  • #SDA
    • View Profile
Re: Honda XR650L clutch woes
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 06:11:26 PM »
Did you replace the basket?  If not, that could be the problem with the plates hanging up.

Also, how old is the clutch cable?  Possibly frayed?

R.I.P Zaca Station              Thanks CHAOS!

Offline Bertman

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 06:14:30 PM »
Did you replace the basket?  If not, that could be the problem with the plates hanging up.

Also, how old is the clutch cable?  Possibly frayed?
Everything worked ok before...but slipped a bit. Cable seems good and freshly lubed. Basket has zero grooving.

Kickstand and all!

Offline Matt Fisher

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 10:40:19 AM »
Did you soak the plates in oil beforehand?  Sounds like they are sticking.

Try dropping the bike into gear with the engine running and with it already moving, like while coasting down a driveway.  Then pull in the clutch and see if it'll disengage.  I had a VFR years ago that developed a similar issue after using Restore oil additive.  If it was cold outside, I had to use that method.   Once broken free, it behaved normally, even after shutting it off.

Offline Gator

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 10:52:11 AM »
I think Matt has your answer.

Offline Bertman

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 05:28:36 PM »
Did you soak the plates in oil beforehand?  Sounds like they are sticking.

Try dropping the bike into gear with the engine running and with it already moving, like while coasting down a driveway.  Then pull in the clutch and see if it'll disengage.  I had a VFR years ago that developed a similar issue after using Restore oil additive.  If it was cold outside, I had to use that method.   Once broken free, it behaved normally, even after shutting it off.
Yes, they were soaked for about an hour.

Kickstand and all!

Offline B-DUB#15

• Pro
  • #SDA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 09:01:33 PM »
You may want to put the bike over on an angle, take of the clutch cover off, and work the lever to see how the actuation is.   It might provide some insight on how or where it's hanging up.

R.I.P Zaca Station              Thanks CHAOS!

Offline Pokey

• Peicks
  • Pro
  • ProRide Solute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 03:38:53 PM »
I though you were supposed to also lightly scuff the plates also.  Also dumb question but you have the same number of plates and fibers as what was removed?

Thanks O'neal, Factory Effex, Amsoil, Motion Pro, LEATT & Polycare Automotive

Offline Bertman

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 05:31:28 AM »
I though you were supposed to also lightly scuff the plates also.  Also dumb question but you have the same number of plates and fibers as what was removed?
Yup...7 fiber and 5 steel. Never heard of scuffing them. I went back out for a test yesterday and it seemed to work ok at first. Itís almost as if the plates are too thick or swollen with oil. After being squeezed together all night it worked ok. BUT on my test ride, got to a red light, pulled the clutch in and the bike still wanted to go?!

Kickstand and all!

Offline Matt Fisher

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 08:43:22 AM »
What brand of clutch parts?  It's been quite a while, but I have heard of some aftermarket fibers that swell and cause the issue you're describing.

Offline Bertman

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 06:21:26 PM »
What brand of clutch parts?  It's been quite a while, but I have heard of some aftermarket fibers that swell and cause the issue you're describing.
Sad to admit....my budget went to Tusk 😕

Kickstand and all!

Offline Matt Fisher

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 10:36:28 AM »
Well, if it continues I guess that picking up some OEM stuff will be your next step.  Keep us posted on what you find.

Offline flipside

• Pro
  • N2dirtsuspension
    • View Profile
    • N2dirtsuspension
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 10:56:55 AM »
Can't beat OEM Honda clutches.

Offline Bertman

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 04:16:21 PM »
Well, if it continues I guess that picking up some OEM stuff will be your next step.  Keep us posted on what you find.
Didnít get a chance to ride for a couple weeks....hopped on and all seemed good. As bike got hotter about 5-6 miles or so, clutch started dragging. Come to a stop light and bike wanted to keep going even with lever all the way in. Guess OEM is next in order. 🤬 Just canít stand paying OEM retail prices!!

Kickstand and all!

Offline flipside

• Pro
  • N2dirtsuspension
    • View Profile
    • N2dirtsuspension
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 03:05:04 PM »
Didnít get a chance to ride for a couple weeks....hopped on and all seemed good. As bike got hotter about 5-6 miles or so, clutch started dragging. Come to a stop light and bike wanted to keep going even with lever all the way in. Guess OEM is next in order. 🤬 Just canít stand paying OEM retail prices!!

Retail is cheaper than doing it twice.