Author Topic: Milestone vet on an Alta RedShift MX  (Read 2593 times)

Offline jayfox911

• Peicks
  • Pro
  • #22~CRF450R white fender
    • View Profile
    • my helmet cam videos
Milestone vet on an Alta RedShift MX
« on: May 21, 2018, 11:57:53 AM »
I borrowed an electric bike to try out.

Raced an Alta at milestone (vet track) yesterday. It was surprisingly good, except starts and suspension haha

Hardest thing is jumping long distances because of the engine breaking or lack of. The front wheel moves up and down easily on throttle movement.

It was cool sneaking up on people. Odd to hear all the moving parts on the bike.
 https://vimeo.com/271025449
When in doubt...Gas it!
Thanks to my sponsors: NCY, ONE, 2XU

Offline crc245

• Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Milestone vet on an Alta RedShift MX
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 09:52:28 PM »
Awesome!

Can't wait for the backyard moto revolution these things will allow 8)

Offline freds4

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 04:39:18 AM »
That was crazy to watch!
Why are starts not good with it?
What is wrong with the suspension?
I didn't know anyone raced on the Milestone Vet track; what organization and class was that?
AOT
TwinAir
Factory Seat                       
Dunlop
FactoryBacking
Acerbis                                       
Slick        
EvoMX
Leatt
Ogio
GoPro
Flow Vision
Arma Sport
Renthal
Tamer MX
Klean Freak

Offline jayfox911

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
    • my helmet cam videos
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 07:29:29 AM »
That was crazy to watch!
Why are starts not good with it?
What is wrong with the suspension?
I didn't know anyone raced on the Milestone Vet track; what organization and class was that?
For the starts, there is build in lag to the initial twist of the throttle to assist in getting started for the average user. The hesitation was hard to get used to for gate drops. So no clutch to adjust wheel spin, only throttle position.

Suspension is 4CS forks and were 100% stock and adjusted for someone 30 lbs lighter than me.

I met my buddy and his dad who was racing with calvetmx. It’s for vintage racing. They have a modern support class, which is all on the same gate no matter your skill level.  Last time it was him and I racing for the lead, this time there was a few fast guys.

Also I think trans world racing on the vet for the lower skill levels.

The vet tracks are ideal for the Alta.  I ride it on the main and it did fine but the big jumps and me on an Alta didn’t flow well.  I’m sure I could have jumped all the jumps but between the suspension and how it handles in the air I chose not to “go big” haha

When in doubt...Gas it!

Offline freds4

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 08:12:12 AM »
Thanks Jason, it did look like fun.

Can you hold the brake and add a bit of "throttle" to overcome the lag? If not, can it be adjusted out?
AOT
TwinAir
Factory Seat                       
Dunlop
FactoryBacking
Acerbis                                       
Slick        
EvoMX
Leatt
Ogio
GoPro
Flow Vision
Arma Sport
Renthal
Tamer MX
Klean Freak

billyghog

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 12:39:29 PM »
I raced the Alta MXR my second moto at REM last weekend. The suspension was way too soft and not at all confidence inspiring. But I think that if it were set up for me and I had more time on it (my race was my first ride on it!), it could be REALLY good. The power was impressive with a super smooth delivery.

I don't know about the MX, but the new MXR has four different "maps" to choose from. Map 1 is gutless, so I jumped straight to 4. I've heard that map 3 is a bit easier to ride which might make overall lap times go down. It's really strange not having a clutch or gears, and the silence is disconcerting. Being used to my two stroke, it was weird letting of the throttle and hearing it completely shut off. I kept thinking I was going to stall it or something.  :lol:

Offline jayfox911

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
    • my helmet cam videos
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 01:11:02 PM »
I used map 4 also. 

I think switching from 2 stroke to electric would be easier since the 2 stoke jump more like an Alta.

I didn’t try holding front break and twisting throttle to get some of the play/lag out.
When in doubt...Gas it!