Author Topic: 16' YZ450 turning  (Read 7250 times)

Offline Zerofear66

• Pro
  • Gotta launder my karma.....
    • View Profile
16' YZ450 turning
« on: February 04, 2018, 09:13:21 AM »

So I got a set of 20mm clamps, running about 103 sag. Was tinkering with the idea of going 100 ish on the sag and dropping the forks down about 3 to 5 mm.
What do you guys think? 
I ride mostly Milestone and wanted to sharpen up the turning a bit.

Offline crc245

• Pro
    • View Profile
Re: 16' YZ450 turning
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 05:12:50 PM »
Yes, but do each mod separately! Go in one turn on the shock preload (appx 3mm per turn) first and test. If that's the right direction, try lowering the forks a little (2mm); If it's better, go more (wouldn't go more than 5mm total, just personal preference of course). Can also go out a couple on the compression without lowering your forks. Don't forget to keep a log of each change for future analysis 8)

Offline crc245

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 05:15:31 PM »

Offline racerxx

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 12:51:15 PM »
I have a 2015 YZ450 with a Dubach relocation kit not sure how much the kit helped because i was constantly searching to get it to turn without getting head shake in the fast sections. I'm staying with 105mm SAG, fork height about 3mm (5mm was suggested) and I run a little stiffer on my fork compression. I ride a lot at LACR and Cal City MX and this set up works well at both tracks. I didn't touch anything for Glen Helen this weekend and was really happy.
Oneal, Factory Effex, Gaerne, Renthal, ASV Levers, Noleen J6, Eks Brand

Offline Zerofear66

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:57:49 AM »

Thank you guys for the input! Ill try each mod one at a time. I sure do love the bike tho'. Powers amazing and I haven't even loaded the Tp map yet..

Offline batotal

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 07:33:35 PM »
As I recall the book says 90mm is minimum sag. To say running the forks "down" is backwards and can be confusing. You want to move the forks up in the triple clamps. Up to the line below the top which is 5mm. Also run as long a wheelbase as possible with a 48 tooth sprocket and a nicely worn in chain. Puts more weight on the front.

Offline scotty walker

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 05:03:05 PM »
Run 22mm clamps with above suggestions. I find
*32mm static sag 5mm showing above the top triple ( not counting the fork cap) has worked well.

*my shock spring is too stiff for my weight)
#sonsofthundermx2 #walkerclanmx #hdvboiiz Isaiah 41:10

Offline Zerofear66

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 01:41:14 PM »
Run 22mm clamps with above suggestions. I find
*32mm static sag 5mm showing above the top triple ( not counting the fork cap) has worked well.

*my shock spring is too stiff for my weight)

Awesome!! Thank you!!

Offline Concep29

• Peicks
  • Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://cowanconcepts.com
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 02:06:53 PM »
I have a 2015 YZ450 with a Dubach relocation kit not sure how much the kit helped because i was constantly searching to get it to turn without getting head shake in the fast sections. I'm staying with 105mm SAG, fork height about 3mm (5mm was suggested) and I run a little stiffer on my fork compression. I ride a lot at LACR and Cal City MX and this set up works well at both tracks. I didn't touch anything for Glen Helen this weekend and was really happy.

racerxx, you run the stock 22mm clamps? How bout a Rad lowering kit?

Offline racerxx

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 08:36:30 PM »

Just saw this a little slow with the reply. I have the stock triple clamps haven't tested any other offset.  I installed the radiator lowering kit TWICE the lowering brackets break pretty easy when you have a get off. I rode gronjo71's stock 14 YZ450 and didn't notice much difference between his and mine I think for me it was more about learning how to get the front wheel waited then all the little tweaks I made. Coming off a YZ250 two stroke it took a while to learn how to make the bike corner. Can't wait to give a 19 a spin maybe this weekend at Cal City MX
Oneal, Factory Effex, Gaerne, Renthal, ASV Levers, Noleen J6, Eks Brand

Offline Zerofear66

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 08:24:45 AM »

Just saw this a little slow with the reply. I have the stock triple clamps haven't tested any other offset.  I installed the radiator lowering kit TWICE the lowering brackets break pretty easy when you have a get off. I rode gronjo71's stock 14 YZ450 and didn't notice much difference between his and mine I think for me it was more about learning how to get the front wheel waited then all the little tweaks I made. Coming off a YZ250 two stroke it took a while to learn how to make the bike corner. Can't wait to give a 19 a spin maybe this weekend at Cal City MX

Can't wait to give a 19 a spin maybe this weekend at Cal City MX

How did you like the 19'?
Im trying to see if the fork lugs and spacers off the 19' will retrofit to me 16' YZ450

Offline Concep29

• Peicks
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 09:48:35 AM »

Im trying to see if the fork lugs and spacers off the 19' will retrofit to me 16' YZ450

I have the 19 collars on order, for the front wheel you only need the brake side, the other side hasn't changed for a few years. I ordered two ( one for my 250F as well) Part# BR9-25183-00-00. They are on backorder but due Nov 28 from RMMC.

For the lugs, you would have to order the inner fork tubes ( left & right) @ $160 ea. Then have it assembled.

Offline Zerofear66

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 12:50:20 PM »

I have the 19 collars on order, for the front wheel you only need the brake side, the other side hasn't changed for a few years. I ordered two ( one for my 250F as well) Part# BR9-25183-00-00. They are on backorder but due Nov 28 from RMMC.

For the lugs, you would have to order the inner fork tubes ( left & right) @ $160 ea. Then have it assembled.

I think Babbitsonline has the spacer in stock.

Offline mxsenior

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 05:48:17 PM »
Can you tell me what difference the 19 spacer makes? I have a 17 450 and I am always looking for ways to make it turn better. Thanks

Offline Concep29

• Peicks
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 05:23:03 PM »
Can you tell me what difference the 19 spacer makes? I have a 17 450 and I am always looking for ways to make it turn better. Thanks

Told today my parts have shipped, when installed and ridden will post some feedback.