Author Topic: KTM 530 E/XC died, no spark  (Read 13298 times)

Offline Fractured Vet

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.motovationsports.com
Re: KTM 530 E/XC died, no spark
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2018, 09:06:41 PM »
You get this thing fixed yet? If so, it was probably the CDI.

Not yet. I've been out of town for a week and a half. Gonna get back after it this week.

Maybe American Airlines can give you some maintenance tips.
"The graveyards are full of indispensable men" -Charles de Gaulle

Offline FastRich

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2018, 05:24:56 PM »
Maybe American Airlines can give you some maintenance tips.

:lol: I fly alot and I gotta say that was by far the worst display of ineptitude from any airline I've seen yet.

Offline FastRich

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2018, 10:45:13 PM »
Finally got this thing to fire tonight. Long story longer...it was the stator (generator). I decided to roll the dice since it was down to that or the CDI. My rational was that I want to put a better light on it anyway and I would've had to buy a new stator for that eventually so I went with a high output one from Ricky Stator. Mine was making power and read 11 ohms but I learned that only one pole is for the ignition. Stoked I got it going again. It's nice having a dirt bike with a plate but that much electrical crap is semi-irritating.

The stator itself was plug and play but I'm not super stoked with the included voltage regulator/rectifier. It requires some extra wiring and is far from being a clean install. I like everything neat and perfect and the new one is definitely not. It added a run straight to the battery, bypassed the stock regulator/rectifier connector and dead ends a wire in the harness.

Offline Shamus

• Pro
  • Google Shawn's Peformance
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2018, 05:13:58 PM »
The Ricky Stator regulator will handle the extra current that his stator will make. It would have cooked the OEM regulator.
The meek shall inherit the earth - a scorched, un-inhabitable earth. Shawn's Performance- Engine and Suspension mods. Two stroke and four strokes.

Offline flipside

• Pro
  • N2dirtsuspension
    • View Profile
    • N2dirtsuspension
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2018, 02:43:56 PM »
The Ricky Stator regulator will handle the extra current that his stator will make. It would have cooked the OEM regulator.

Not to mention that it is probably a 12vdc regulator.

Offline FastRich

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2018, 09:08:36 PM »

Not to mention that it is probably a 12vdc regulator.

Yep. Now I can run a good LED bulb or light. The stock headlight on that thing is hot garbage! I already had the cleanup kit for the rear and since I was knee deep in the wiring anyway, I tossed the front signals and switched them to the Sicass racing integrated handguard ones. Cleaned it up quite a bit. I had to get the LED flasher and instead of dicking around with the inline resistors, I just removed the bulb from the green indicator light since you can't even see it with a bar pad anyway.

I ran it and rode it a bit and the fan never came on so I replaced the thermoswitch with the new one that came with the new fan. I ran it last night and the fan still never came on when I felt like it should. The fan works and there is power to the thermoswitch. I can jumper it and it comes on so I know it's something with the switch itself or I just didn't let it get hot enough. I read up on it a bit and it seems like lots of guys just put in a switch since the thermoswitches seem to be very unreliable. Alot of them also remove the thermostat. Trail Tech sells a thermostat delete kit but Blais Racing sells just a spacer/o-ring that you put in when you take it out. My plan is to wire in a small switch that will be in tandem with the thermoswitch and remove the thermostat. Dirt bikes shouldn't have thermostats anyway! I will be able to turn the fan on and off with the switch and the thermoswitch will also be able to function to turn it on if I forget to or whatever. I'll take a few pics of everything when I do it tomorrow night. I already picked up the switch but I don't have the connectors I thought I did so I gotta grab them after work tomorrow.

The switch for the fan is probably not necessary but I will allow me to have full control over the system.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:11:33 PM by FastRich »

Offline Shamus

• Pro
  • Google Shawn's Peformance
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2018, 08:34:04 PM »
If youve got one of those laser thermometers, you'd be blown away by how hot the radiators DONT get. Ideally, you want the coolant to run 180-190F. I dont know about that bike specifically, some will push coolant past the cap at that temp with the rads filled all the way up. But only enough to create the correct air space in the radiators. Pull the thermostat, it could run 130 on a cold day, which is bad. Most oils dont even work correctly until they're 180ish. Most of the time, if there's sufficient air flow, the engine temps will typically run 100F+ ambient. 90F outside, + the 100, engine temps are perfect. Sit trail side for 10 minutes bullshiting...with the engine running and it over heats...well ya... :lol:
The meek shall inherit the earth - a scorched, un-inhabitable earth. Shawn's Performance- Engine and Suspension mods. Two stroke and four strokes.

Offline flmpkr661

• Amateur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2018, 07:23:30 PM »
Agree, too much electrical with these bikes. Have the same bike but an 08, and all of a sudden it is blowing starter fuses, been chasing this for a few days now. Thankfully it has a kick starter so I wasn't stranded out trail riding last weekend.

Offline Pokey

• Peicks
  • Pro
  • ProRide Solute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2018, 05:58:10 PM »
Well it was too late for this but, I have a O'scope you can capture AC. 
So how are these?  I might be picking up a 450EXC (RFS) it's a 2005 with 2700 miles.  Bone stock.
I will plate it, but how are these on the road.  I won't commute on it, but my dual sport trips we need to occasionally hope on the freeway, or highway.  I could careless about going fast.  But if we need to ride say from Lark, McCain valley back to Ramona.  So on the 8 for 20ish miles, then surface streets.  Would it pump itself dry losing oil out of the vent?  I know they are 6 speeds so it's way better than my plated YZ450

Thanks

Thanks O'neal, Factory Effex, Amsoil, Motion Pro, LEATT & Polycare Automotive

Offline flmpkr661

• Amateur
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2018, 02:55:37 PM »
For what you want to do, they are fine on the road, even with decent "off road" gearing. I only use mine for desert and single track, with some occasional pavement use, so not a lot of on road experience with it. At speed on the road it wobbles pretty bad, but I think this can be improved with the addition of properly placed wheel weights and a more DS type of tire. That sounds like a bitchin bike, lot of people rave about those RFS motors. I need to get some info from you as we are going to try to plate my brothers 01 WR426 one of these days.

Offline Pokey

• Peicks
  • Pro
  • ProRide Solute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2018, 06:28:38 PM »
For what you want to do, they are fine on the road, even with decent "off road" gearing. I only use mine for desert and single track, with some occasional pavement use, so not a lot of on road experience with it. At speed on the road it wobbles pretty bad, but I think this can be improved with the addition of properly placed wheel weights and a more DS type of tire. That sounds like a bitchin bike, lot of people rave about those RFS motors. I need to get some info from you as we are going to try to plate my brothers 01 WR426 one of these days.

Thanks, sure hit me up anytime

Thanks O'neal, Factory Effex, Amsoil, Motion Pro, LEATT & Polycare Automotive