Author Topic: KTM 530 E/XC died, no spark  (Read 13293 times)

Offline Shamus

• Pro
  • Google Shawn's Peformance
    • View Profile
Re: KTM 530 E/XC died, no spark
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 01:01:10 PM »
The "kill switch" if you want to call it that is a 2 position switch with a blue and a brown wire. The switch itself is good to at least the first connector. Could possibly have a ground or break in the spaghetti that is under the computer/display. I'm going to investigate that fully. The more I eliminate, the closer I get to the CDI. I'm still trying to understand if the voltage reg. has any bearing at all on ignition spark.

If your bike is wired like that schematic I posted, No. The reg wont impact the ignition circuits at all. The way the bike above is wired, it should run without a battery or the reg even installed if you bumped or kick started it.
The meek shall inherit the earth - a scorched, un-inhabitable earth. Shawn's Performance- Engine and Suspension mods. Two stroke and four strokes.

Offline FastRich

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 03:49:20 PM »
If your bike is wired like that schematic I posted, No. The reg wont impact the ignition circuits at all. The way the bike above is wired, it should run without a battery or the reg even installed if you bumped or kick started it.

Yes,  that schematic is fairly close to what I have. Just some minor differences but I have the correct one for my bike. I've had a pretty much dead battery and been able to kick start it just fine.

Checking voltage from the pulse gen while cranking I get basically nothing. The resistance reading is correct but it's not making much if any electricity. The generator seems to be making power.

Gotta pull the damn flywheel to get to the wire for the pulse gen. to get it out because it runs behind it.  :x

Offline Shamus

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 10:35:26 PM »

Yes,  that schematic is fairly close to what I have. Just some minor differences but I have the correct one for my bike. I've had a pretty much dead battery and been able to kick start it just fine.

Checking voltage from the pulse gen while cranking I get basically nothing. The resistance reading is correct but it's not making much if any electricity. The generator seems to be making power.

Gotta pull the damn flywheel to get to the wire for the pulse gen. to get it out because it runs behind it.  :x

unplug the pulse gen and kick it. If the CDI is toast, it could be shorted on a diode internally and be killing the output of the pulse gen. It'll be an AC signal, like I said, it'll be a tiny blip. Hopefully your meter can record the reading and hold it.
The meek shall inherit the earth - a scorched, un-inhabitable earth. Shawn's Performance- Engine and Suspension mods. Two stroke and four strokes.

Offline Fractured Vet

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.motovationsports.com
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 05:40:20 AM »
Sell it and buy a new bike.
"The graveyards are full of indispensable men" -Charles de Gaulle

Offline batotal

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 12:37:37 PM »
A pulse generator is a very passive device, not likely to fail. Are you sure the "new" plug you tried was actually new?

Know any real tough guys who are into pain, or owe you a huge favor? Have one stick a screwdriver in the plug socket while you crank it. If they scream like a little girl its a bad plug. If they're still a tough guy replace the CDI unit.

Solid procedure right there!  :D

Offline FastRich

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 07:56:46 PM »
A pulse generator is a very passive device, not likely to fail. Are you sure the "new" plug you tried was actually new?

Know any real tough guys who are into pain, or owe you a huge favor? Have one stick a screwdriver in the plug socket while you crank it. If they scream like a little girl its a bad plug. If they're still a tough guy replace the CDI unit.

Solid procedure right there!  :D

Definitely not the plug. I've been down that road before. I've verified with two new plugs and an old "known good".

Offline Shamus

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 08:52:14 PM »
Like I said, that pulse gen only makes about .7 to 1.5 volts total even at 9000 rpm. And it's an AC signal coming directly off the pick up.

Offline FastRich

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 10:32:55 PM »
Pulled the flywheel, replaced the pulse gen with a new one, put everything back together and still no spark. Beyond irritating at this point. I have to believe it's the CDI or some ridiculous ground I can't find. I've never had such an utterly idiotic experience with a dirt bike ignition. Get your effing shit together KTM! No Japanese bike I've ever owned in 20 plus years has given me a 1 second of serious electrical trouble!  :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Offline ChuckMoto

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2017, 11:16:26 AM »
Pulled the flywheel, replaced the pulse gen with a new one, put everything back together and still no spark. Beyond irritating at this point. I have to believe it's the CDI or some ridiculous ground I can't find. I've never had such an utterly idiotic experience with a dirt bike ignition. Get your effing shit together KTM! No Japanese bike I've ever owned in 20 plus years has given me a 1 second of serious electrical trouble!  :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

So you are absolutely sure the ignition side of generator is making juice for the CDI?

Offline FastRich

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2017, 05:51:02 PM »

So you are absolutely sure the ignition side of generator is making juice for the CDI?

I get volts when I put a meter on the connectors and press the start button as it turns over. I guess I drop $200 on a CDI and see if it works. If not I replace the gen. After that if it doesn't run I fill the tank with gas and light it. 

Offline ChuckMoto

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2017, 07:33:30 PM »

I get volts when I put a meter on the connectors and press the start button as it turns over. I guess I drop $200 on a CDI and see if it works. If not I replace the gen. After that if it doesn't run I fill the tank with gas and light it.

Sounds good to me.

Offline SLAPAHO

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2017, 07:45:45 PM »
For sale “ran fine when I parked it a year ago” .......

Offline NACNAC#721

• Pro
  • Keep It Simple Stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2017, 08:00:47 PM »
Edit: I looked at the manual and forgive me if you already tried this. Unplug/disconnect ignition switch?Disconnect kill switch also? Battery still at 12 volts? Pull spark plug boot off and check wires there?

How frustrating, hope you figure it out before you drop the Grenade.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 01:38:32 AM by NACNAC#721 »
OLDRELIABLE144  IG

Offline Shamus

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2017, 12:42:05 PM »
You get this thing fixed yet? If so, it was probably the CDI.

Offline FastRich

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 08:57:14 PM »
You get this thing fixed yet? If so, it was probably the CDI.

Not yet. I've been out of town for a week and a half. Gonna get back after it this week.