Author Topic: Low profile boots  (Read 665 times)

Offline Andy753

• Expert
    • View Profile
Low profile boots
« on: November 20, 2017, 04:45:34 PM »
I have nerve damage to my left foot and when I rode this weekend I had a hard time getting my foot under the shift lever. I tried moving the lever up a notch but when I did that it hit the countershaft sprocket.

I have SG 10 from a few years ago...so do you guys know of a boot that has a low profile at the toe?

Offline Dirt Addict

• Pro
  • Fortune favors the bold...
    • View Profile
Re: Low profile boots
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 05:06:47 PM »
Alpinestar tech 7ís have a fairly flat toe and are pretty flexible too...

Offline OLDMOTO

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 06:32:03 PM »
SIDI
Lurking in the background
VetX 77X

Online Zeke27G

• Peicks
  • Pro
  • Do It In The Dirt!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 09:55:08 PM »

Offline 250SX

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 10:09:34 PM »
I also like the Tech 7 because of the low toe.

Online 6IX

• Pro
    • View Profile
    • www.exarteproductions.com
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 11:08:41 PM »
I also like the Tech 7 because of the low toe.

Agree on this. Wearing Tech10's now, very similar to the Tech7, and they are almost too minimal in the toe box.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:23:43 AM by 6IX »

Online freds4

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 06:32:20 AM »
Of the good boots available (and that does NOT include Alpinestars) the Sidi Crossfire has the lowest profile toe.
The new Gaerne SG-12 has a revised, smaller toe, but still not as slim as the Sidi.
Alias
CylinderWorks  ProTaper
TwinAir         EvoMX
Factory Seat   MB1                     
Dunlop          DRD
FactoryBacking
Acerbis     Hinson   
Smith       Gaerne
Hotcams   Slick
Lucas Oil   Ogio
Leatt         Pivot Works

Offline crc245

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 08:04:03 AM »
In addition to the slimmer boots, do you think a longer/different offset shifter would help? These guys sell adjustable lengths to get you dialed in:

https://hdmoto.com/moto/products/

Helps on our CRF's when you add wider than stock footpegs and the distance from peg to shifter decreases...

Offline Andy753

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 08:23:21 AM »
In addition to the slimmer boots, do you think a longer/different offset shifter would help? These guys sell adjustable lengths to get you dialed in:

https://hdmoto.com/moto/products/

Helps on our CRF's when you add wider than stock footpegs and the distance from peg to shifter decreases...

I checked out hammer head but I don't see one that goes higher...just longer.

I am going to try a longer one.

Offline Andy753

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 08:26:37 AM »
Thanks for all the replies...I have to go to Berts or Chaparral and bring a measuring tape and try on a bunch of boots.

Offline langhammx

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 08:30:44 AM »
I have nerve damage to my left foot and when I rode this weekend I had a hard time getting my foot under the shift lever. I tried moving the lever up a notch but when I did that it hit the countershaft sprocket.

I have SG 10 from a few years ago...so do you guys know of a boot that has a low profile at the toe?
Andy,
   As mentioned already, The newer SG12 and SG10's are slimmer in the tow box area and are a big improvement over the older style boots. Although if you have a slimmer foot, the SIDI boots are even slimmer in the tow box area. I can get you a good deal on a new set of Gearne boots, if you decide to go that way. I wear a sz.12 if you wanted to try the SG12's, I got a few pairs of the new style boots.

But if you're still running the stock shifter (offset) and have a sz.10 boot (or bigger), you'd benefit from a +10/+15 shifter tip. The link is posted for HDMOTO (Hammerhead designs) above, I'd go that route first. I use a +10 tip on my 450, but a +15 tip on my KTM 500. The KTM's seem to have a shorter distance between the pegs and shifter, as well as the brake pedal. I use the Hammerhead brake pedal too, it's longer and has an adjustable tip too.

Offline Andy753

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 03:52:52 PM »

Andy,
   As mentioned already, The newer SG12 and SG10's are slimmer in the tow box area and are a big improvement over the older style boots. Although if you have a slimmer foot, the SIDI boots are even slimmer in the tow box area. I can get you a good deal on a new set of Gearne boots, if you decide to go that way. I wear a sz.12 if you wanted to try the SG12's, I got a few pairs of the new style boots.

But if you're still running the stock shifter (offset) and have a sz.10 boot (or bigger), you'd benefit from a +10/+15 shifter tip. The link is posted for HDMOTO (Hammerhead designs) above, I'd go that route first. I use a +10 tip on my 450, but a +15 tip on my KTM 500. The KTM's seem to have a shorter distance between the pegs and shifter, as well as the brake pedal. I use the Hammerhead brake pedal too, it's longer and has an adjustable tip too.

I ordered a Hammerhead shifter +20 (I wear a size 12) and a large brake pedal.

I'll try that first.

Thanks for the help.

Offline PB Miller 92g

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 07:16:48 PM »
I have nerve damage in my foot and ankle. I wear sidi boots and shortened my shifter a half inch with the extended tip. Works great for me. Less movement to shift the gears.

Offline Andy753

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 10:52:58 AM »

Do the tech 7s have a booty inside?