Author Topic: Meniscus Damage?  (Read 3182 times)

Offline YZed250

• Expert
  • 2014 YZ250F
    • View Profile
Meniscus Damage?
« on: February 02, 2017, 12:56:17 PM »
Hyperextended my knee around Christmas, and since then, I've had limited range of movement in my left knee. Not able to get to a full squat without pain behind my knee. In other motions, standing, stairs and riding, it's been fine. I've been riding/racing as normal up until recently.

Rode near the west mx on Sunday and bumped my foot on the ground while going through a turn, which kicked it back toward my butt in the normal direction. Anyway, it happened fast and I guess my heel almost touched my butt from the dab.  This wouldn't be a problem normally, but the pain was excruciating at the end of my knees range of motion, as my knee closed. Packed it up, and my knee's been feeling kind of shaky at the stop, and noticeably more uncomfortable since Sunday.

Went to the GP yesterday, who referred me to a physio today, who said I need 4 weeks of PT. At that stage, if I'm still limited in range of motion, an MRI and possibly surgery. Four weeks of not riding doesn't sound that appealing at the moment (given how much it's been raining). I basically don't really want to stop riding atm, don't want to follow doctors orders, and wanted to see if anyone else has been down this road and if I should ask for an MRI before 4 weeks?

I guess, either way, my riding season is done unless I choose to put up with the pain during a dab, and possibly further damaging my meniscus. Apparently I don't have any ligament damage atm.

Offline stinger

• Peicks
  • Amateur
    • View Profile
Re: Meniscus Damage?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 02:27:51 PM »
Get Knee Braces and ride what do doctors know  :shock:
But seriously Get Knee Braces !!!
SCOTMX #317
It's Motocross - Shut up and Ride!!!

Offline YZed250

• Expert
  • 2014 YZ250F
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 02:49:30 PM »
Get Knee Braces and ride what do doctors know  :shock:
But seriously Get Knee Braces !!!
I always ride with POD braces at the track, and still have them. I was riding my street bike and crashed on ice, hitting my left calf on a street sign and hyperextending my knee (I think). 

Offline Spode

• Global Moderator
  • Pro
  • highest performacne Spode eva
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 01:45:35 PM »
My youngest son has had two knee surgerys (RT & LT knee) a year apart for torn meniscus from college soccer. he was walking the next day from both surgerys and the recovery was pretty short. they trimmed out the torn part. in his case it was on the outer edge where no blood flow so that why they it cut it out an he has 50% less at 20 years old. he says it now feel like nothing ever happened.

my oldest son had a torn acl and a severe torn meniscus from stupid touch football with his buddys on a muddy field. in his case they sewed up the meniscus an didnt trim it out this along with a the acl replacement.  he didnt walk for weeks and the recovery really took a year for it to be 90% better, it still doesnt feel perfect to him and never will

The missle
EX Factory team bike washer assistor
Bills Pool service
team Zundapp

Offline langhammx

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 07:21:55 PM »
I had a big get off 2 years ago and along with a bunch of other injuries, I tore the meniscus on my right knee and the ACL and MCL on my left knee. None of them were worth worrying about at the time, but I feel the meniscus tear when I go up stairs or put a lot of stress on it. It doesn't affect me when I ride, until I'm exhausted and I dad my foot at a bad time.

Offline Hack-Man162

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 11:19:56 AM »
Do NOT let them remove the meniscus tear, if at all possible. The resulting loss of cartilage will ultimately result in an arthritic knee that has to be replaced. Spode's son's case may be different, because if there is no blood flow, it won't heal properly. Yes, trimming the meniscus is the quick way back, but ultimately not so cool...
--Hack-Man162

"I hate elections. It's a reminder of just how many stupid people are in the USA"  --Blue622

Offline YZed250

• Expert
  • 2014 YZ250F
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 02:19:46 PM »
Bone bruise on the corner of Tibia and partial ACL tear, which will apparently heal with some rest.

Offline Evoracer

• Amateur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 04:01:20 PM »
Bumping this old thread.  I am five weeks out from a torn meniscus repair.  Currently feels like shit.  Worse than two weeks after surgery.  Normal?  Lengthy recovery?  Doc says normal, I am a skeptic.

Racer X: "Your brother just said you suck."

Offline YZed250

• Expert
  • 2014 YZ250F
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 10:12:07 AM »
I am sorry to hear it, Evoracer.

Since my original post in 2017, I have had a couple more twists of my previously injured left knee (while not wearing braces) and a few more MRI/physio visits. In each case, it was stupid stuff where I wasn't on my dirt bike (playing with my kids, every day movement). Between each incident, I have been recovering and racing like normal. Riding a dirt bike is pretty easy on the knee, as long as I am wearing my CTI braces.

They keep telling me that I have a damaged meniscus and I will need surgery if I have sticking or interference in the range of motion and that my ligaments are fine. I can tell you that each time I have twisted it, it's happened easier, and it's painful to do it, and swollen afterwards, but that it basically comes back to normal with physio. It feels loose and is more susceptible to being injured. I can run (barely), surf ok, so I am dealing with it for now. Kinda sad at only 40yo.

That's my story, sorry that I can't provide more advice post op. I can recommend doctors if you need a second opinion.

Offline Evoracer

• Amateur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 01:48:09 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I will continue to rehab it, and see how it plays out.

Good riding season is here and I'm missing out...again.
Racer X: "Your brother just said you suck."