Author Topic: 2015 Rmz450 TAC forks  (Read 15317 times)

Offline Jesse833Mx

• Pro
    • View Profile
2015 Rmz450 TAC forks
« on: February 23, 2015, 07:07:50 PM »
If your having trouble getting your forks dialed like I have been , I found a good read on MXA about understanding these pain in A$$ forks . 

http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-tests/2015-test-ride-suzuki-rm-z450

Any suggestions other then buying a Yamaha on getting these  forks dialed would be greatly appreciated .  :lol:
Thanks

Offline nickvalve

• Pro
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Rmz450 TAC forks
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:02:33 AM »
Focus on one point at a time. Main chamber first / air pressure then oil level. Move on to the balance chamber to get ride height and initial feel , then lower the outer chamber , go as low as you can , then re-adjust the main pressure and oil level again if needed. The less pressure you run in the outer will reduce the stiction by the seals . No magic answer , you gotta do your homework and they really do work nice when 'Dialed ' in , don't give up yet.

Offline cautious

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:30:23 AM »
ride smooth tracks.

Offline Bruce372

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 08:57:49 AM »
or there is the $1000 MX-tech single spring conversion!!! :)

Offline Bruce372

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 09:06:23 AM »
Hey Nick-

If we compare these forks to say for example the SFF spring fork from previous years, the only place stiction can come from is the air side??? 

Like you said, adding air to the outer chamber could cause stiction on the main seal between the tubes, but is that the main culprit???

However, the main air chamber is where the sealing piston is could be the biggest problem, so I have two questions-

1- Is it really a problem when riding the bike vs pumping the forks on the ground???   just look at the RMZ shock, it has that funky quad-ring piston, and people complain its tight and sticky when testing on the bench, but can people get a good result when riding that shock with the stock quadring seal?

2. If the air piston seal is main culprit, that air chamber runs a special oil from showa- is there any additives or slick greases that can help???  Is it actually possible to service the air chamber??? the manual says the whole part should be replaced if there is issues??

3. what is the feedback on the CRF250 showa air fork?  maybe they were smart enough to simplify it by not using outer chamber adjustments.???

Offline walent215

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 11:36:36 AM »
Hey Nick-

If we compare these forks to say for example the SFF spring fork from previous years, the only place stiction can come from is the air side??? 

Like you said, adding air to the outer chamber could cause stiction on the main seal between the tubes, but is that the main culprit???

However, the main air chamber is where the sealing piston is could be the biggest problem, so I have two questions-

1- Is it really a problem when riding the bike vs pumping the forks on the ground???   just look at the RMZ shock, it has that funky quad-ring piston, and people complain its tight and sticky when testing on the bench, but can people get a good result when riding that shock with the stock quadring seal?

2. If the air piston seal is main culprit, that air chamber runs a special oil from showa- is there any additives or slick greases that can help???  Is it actually possible to service the air chamber??? the manual says the whole part should be replaced if there is issues??

3. what is the feedback on the CRF250 showa air fork?  maybe they were smart enough to simplify it by not using outer chamber adjustments.???
I guess I'm the minority here, but we've got a 2013 kx450f and a 2015 crf250r with the air forks and my son and I are getting along great with them....I have had to change a seal on the kawi but the 250 has about 28 hours  since new and I haven't had to replace seals....we race moto/worcs/big6 and the forks perform well for us.

Offline Bruce372

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 11:42:44 AM »
Hey Nick-

I guess I'm the minority here, but we've got a 2013 kx450f and a 2015 crf250r with the air forks and my son and I are getting along great with them....I have had to change a seal on the kawi but the 250 has about 28 hours  since new and I haven't had to replace seals....we race moto/worcs/big6 and the forks perform well for us.

exactly, most of the people that complain about the air forks are the ones that don't own them!!!

ive not ridden my 2015 RMZ yet, its driving me nuts waiting for the fooking snow to melt!

here is my dual air SFF fork ive been running for 5 years!  the design concept is very, very similar to the new show moto forks, and they are easy to setup once you figure out what the chambers do.

[/url]

Offline walent215

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 11:53:00 AM »
I think the kawi fork is some of the best suspension I've rode with....and I just sold a 2010 yz450 with the sss,which some say is the best fork made...I've also had many different aftermarket suspension companies work on our stuff....my kawi is stock and so is my son's 250 aside from the rear spring

Offline flipside

• Pro
  • N2dirtsuspension
    • View Profile
    • N2dirtsuspension
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 01:30:47 PM »
I think the kawi fork is some of the best suspension I've rode with....and I just sold a 2010 yz450 with the sss,which some say is the best fork made...I've also had many different aftermarket suspension companies work on our stuff....my kawi is stock and so is my son's 250 aside from the rear spring

You definitely are the minority. You seemed to be singing a different song a few weeks ago when we spoke.

Offline PJ205

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 02:00:29 PM »

Offline Bruce372

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 02:17:35 PM »

You definitely are the minority. You seemed to be singing a different song a few weeks ago when we spoke.

Hey flipper, what are your tips on these TAC forks???????

Offline walent215

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 02:34:38 PM »

maybe I didn't mention to you when we talked but I hadn't even got to ride the bike much  and I was anticipating them not working after reading all the horror stories online....

Offline Jesse833Mx

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 02:37:52 PM »
ride smooth tracks.
Problem solved.
I have been. thats the problem. enzo has even valved it. my confidence in turns is at a all time low. it seems when i get my bottoming resistance good my front end bite goes out the window and vice verse.

Offline Bruce372

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
ride smooth tracks.
Problem solved.
I have been. thats the problem. enzo has even valved it. my confidence in turns is at a all time low. it seems when i get my bottoming resistance good my front end bite goes out the window and vice verse.

what does Enzo have to say about this???

Offline Jesse833Mx

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 03:13:30 PM »
ride smooth tracks.
Problem solved.

what does Enzo have to say about this???
called Will once, needed to add air all around as the forks were riding way to low in the stroke.  Then he said you will have to dial in your forks.  going mess with it more this weekend.