Author Topic: Spine fractures anyone?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Doug710G

• Pro
    • View Profile
Spine fractures anyone?
« on: November 16, 2023, 10:37:15 PM »
Who's had em and what did you do to get better?

I ask because I'm 6 weeks into recovering from T7 & T8 fractures after hitting a downed bike at Glen Helen (the last time I saw you there Phil).
My T8 is a "Chance" fracture and the biggest concern since latest MRI shows healing but 50% compression of the T8 has my doctor considering fusion...which I absolutely don't want.
I just scheduled a consultation with a REGENEXX doctor for possible PRP/stem cell therapy...I did PRP for some degenerated lumbar joints several years ago with decent results.
Enjoy your health boys if you have it!

« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 06:31:54 AM by Doug710G »

Offline HEKTIC

• Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Spine fractures anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 10:42:04 PM »
Shit Doug. Bummed to hear this. Keep pushin and you will get back 100%. Medical tech improves daily so hope you get some super help soon!

Offline Gator

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2023, 07:33:00 AM »
I compressed a couple back in my 20's.  Went to a sports doctor and he did not recommend any procedures.  He would see a lot of surfers with that injury from nose diving into the sand.  Of course it would depend on the severity for treatment.  For a few years my back would be a little bit sore occasionally if I was sitting at a work bench for a long time.  Not bad enough for an aspirin, I would just change positions and it would be better.  In my 60's now and have no side effects any longer.  Good luck.  Exercise is all I ever did. 

Offline SHIFTY

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2023, 07:43:22 AM »
I compressed a couple back in my 20's.  Went to a sports doctor and he did not recommend any procedures.  He would see a lot of surfers with that injury from nose diving into the sand.  Of course it would depend on the severity for treatment.  For a few years my back would be a little bit sore occasionally if I was sitting at a work bench for a long time.  Not bad enough for an aspirin, I would just change positions and it would be better.  In my 60's now and have no side effects any longer.  Good luck.  Exercise is all I ever did.

SAME.  AFTER SITTING AT A DESK ALL DAY I'll HAVE TO MOVE/STRETCH A FEW DIFFERENT WAYS FOR THINGS TO 'POP', THEN I'm GOOD UNTIL THE NEXT DAY.  BEEN DOING IT FOR SO LONG THAT I DON't THINK ABOUT IT MUCH ANYMORE; BUT THE 'POP' IS AUDIBLE AND FREAKS PEOPLE OUT WHEN THEY HEAR IT.  I DIDN't KNOW YOU WERE BACK IN THE MIX Doug, LET ME OR JMAC KNOW WHEN YOU ARE OUT AND ABOUT IT WOULD BE COOL TO SEE YA...

Offline DeSto

• Pro
  • Chief Wiggum is a Pole Smoker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 08:34:21 AM »
I just got home from getting a MRI of my lower back, my L2-L3 are degenerative and causing sciatic pain down my leg. Back always hurts and not sure if there’s much I can do?? Be interested to see how your stem cell therapy works for you?

Offline Doug710G

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2023, 08:42:09 AM »
Thanks Hektic!  Praying for a good outcome and also hearing from the gallery about experiences with a similar injury and personal thoughts on fusion repair versus not.  Gator and Shifty I also sit at a desk all day and stretching regularly is definitely required.  Shifty I will give you heads up when I return to the track.  I've been doing alot of practice days with occasional races here and there like OTMX and REM.  I was actually prepping for world vet when I got hurt.  At 64 my bounce back will be difficult, but I am determined. Btw props go out to Phil Dowell who was there to keep me calm when it happened.  Also huge thanks to the rider who was also an EMT and took care of me before the ambulance arrived.  Didn't catch his name unfortunately.  Desto I will post when I have more to share on the prp/stem cell front.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 08:45:19 AM by Doug710G »

Offline 6IX

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2023, 01:21:12 PM »
He would see a lot of surfers with that injury from nose diving into the sand.

A buddy, who is a ripping good and very fit surfer, got chucked onto a patch of reef / rock in Carlsbad a couple years ago and broke his C6/C7 and blew out the disc. They had to operate through the front of his neck and C6/C7 are now fused. No fun.

He's made a full recovery and must have slightly less flexibility now. I haven't talked with him about it in awhile.

Offline proride phil

• Global Moderator
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2023, 02:00:27 PM »
Damn Doug, didn't even know you had crashed. I sure hope you the best recovery possible.
Sponsored by:

Proride.com
Dunlop
O'Neal

Offline Doug710G

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2023, 05:47:01 PM »
Damn Doug, didn't even know you had crashed. I sure hope you the best recovery possible.
Thanks Phil. When I was laying on the ground I was asked if I knew anyone there that could secure my vehicle.  I said I know Phil next to the mini track.  I guess you were gone because they came back with Mr. Dowell...another fine Phil.: lol:

Offline mxpanther

• Pro
  • Be a man about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2023, 05:59:44 AM »
Thanks Phil. When I was laying on the ground I was asked if I knew anyone there that could secure my vehicle.  I said I know Phil next to the mini track.  I guess you were gone because they came back with Mr. Dowell...another fine Phil.: lol:
Phil Dowell is one of our riding buddies, great guy. Sorry about your injury.
For what it's worth,  I cracked my c6 and c7 in 2010. Fortunately the cracks weren't wide enough for surgery, so I waited 3 months for them to heal. I lost a slight amount of movement,  but hardly notice it.
Heal up well, and soon!
https://imgur.com/gallery/obup5Zf
Thank you: Shock Therapy Motorsports, Eropkin Pro Pool Care, BDW

Offline mxwingnut

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2023, 08:17:50 AM »
This is an alternative stretching program originated in France after the government realized it was paying too much for back surgeries for those with back problems.

The program is migrating to the U.S., works wonders for anyone with back or shoulder problems.

I started doing it 3 months ago after my ortho said I needed total shoulder replacement on both sides, but if I used this method, I might be able to avoid surgery indefinitely.

https://www.eldoamethod.com/about-eldoa-method

https://eldoausa.com/what-is-eldoa/

Offline proride phil

• Global Moderator
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2023, 08:26:22 AM »

Yeah, I probably had left already. I definitely would of helped out.
Sponsored by:

Proride.com
Dunlop
O'Neal

Offline barnett468

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2023, 08:58:14 AM »
Thanks Hektic!  Praying for a good outcome and also hearing from the gallery about experiences with a similar injury and personal thoughts on fusion repair versus not.  Gator and Shifty I also sit at a desk all day and stretching regularly is definitely required.  Shifty I will give you heads up when I return to the track.  I've been doing alot of practice days with occasional races here and there like OTMX and REM.  I was actually prepping for world vet when I got hurt.  At 64 my bounce back will be difficult, but I am determined. Btw props go out to Phil Dowell who was there to keep me calm when it happened.  Also huge thanks to the rider who was also an EMT and took care of me before the ambulance arrived.  Didn't catch his name unfortunately.  Desto I will post when I have more to share on the prp/stem cell front.

I frequently look for new procedures do to pain from a severely crushed disc I am considering getting repaired, and several years ago I read that Tiger Woods Doctor went in from his side to repair his back which is an unusual procedure, and it worked for him, so you might want to look into that as well. His Doctors name was in the article and I think he was in Los Angeles.

Here's the article

https://rediscovermylife.org/tigerreborn.php#:~:text=Tiger%20and%20his%20fusion%20surgery,pinnacle%20of%20the%20PGA%20Tour.&text=Why%20Go%20From%20the%20Front,Richard%20Guyer%2C%20Dr.

My dad had 2 lower back bones fused together 20 years ago, and had xlnt results with zero pain.

Also, ask your Doctor if he thinks  a TEMS device may help.

Your mileage may vary!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 09:18:54 AM by barnett468 »

Offline barnett468

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2023, 09:10:40 AM »
BACK PAIN RELIEF

Ok, here you go. This may or may not work for you, but get your Doctors approval before using it as it may aggravate your particular type of injury but I think that is unlikely.

I used a flat, portable traction table, and it helped me. I found that it was very helpful to put a pillow under my knees when using it to prevent my back from arching. I will post the info on mine later today.

There are also some very sophisticated traction tables at some therapy centers that are far better than a home device. Below is one in Temecula but there are fancier machines than they have.

https://www.temeculaclinic.com/disc/?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3uGqBhDdARIsAFeJ5r0Uz32SMEOXGh_XnQ6UAnkXKx8hF4ui_2w1lznZbe-vW2NhiG0YjIsaAhwNEALw_wcB

Here's some info on one type of device which I have never used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4evRnJC0qAM
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 09:21:08 AM by barnett468 »

Offline Shamus

• Pro
  • Google Shawn's Peformance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2023, 04:44:19 PM »
Had a car accident 8-9 years ago that ruptured the discs between C5, C6 and C7. I tried to out run the surgery with a year of pretty intense chiro, traction therapy etc, two Cortisone shots, and it got bad enough to finally give up and have the surgery.

I got two plastic pucks inserted between the verts, and basically toe nailed into place with Titanium drywall screws. Afterwards, I felt like a moron for not doing it sooner. I was 80% better in 2 days. I could feel my thumbs  and fore fingers again, my pinky fingers quit falling completely asleep (useless, like they were paralyzed) and the part nobody anticipated, I lost zero mobility.

Dr. Ty is the guy that fixed my neck. They do stem cell stuff there too.

https://www.youtube.com/@BASICSpineCA
The meek shall inherit the earth - a scorched, un-inhabitable earth. Shawn's Performance- Engine and Suspension mods. Two stroke and four strokes.