Author Topic: Front Tires  (Read 6592 times)

Offline 6IX

• Pro
    • View Profile
Front Tires
« on: August 28, 2017, 04:58:33 PM »
I know everyone's got a phucking opinion, so lets hear em.  :lol:  :P

Currently on a Bridgestone M403 which has been good, but I'm not really liking the look of the new Bridgestone front tires with their asymmetrical knob pattern (Battlecross x30).  :?  People I've talked to seem to like the x30 though.  :| :idea:

The older guys (sh*t, I'm one of them now) will remember the Dunlop 756, which looked like it wouldn’t work that well in hard dirt, but ended up being a very versatile tire.  The reviews I’m reading say the same about the newer Dunlop AT81, which looks very similar to a 756, but made of more durable rubber.

I’m thinking the Dunlop AT81 in the 90/90-21 size (90mm wide and 81mm tall..??..) or the Dunlop MX3S which I hear is an awesome front tire, but not very durable in hard dirt.

I feel like I cant sacrifice the taller knobs with wider spacing of an intermediate to soft tire for when tracks are fresh or I’m riding off road in deeper dirt / sand, but it needs to be predictable and durable on hardpack as well. Does anyone run a pure hardpack front tire anymore? :?

They both look good, although I wonder why so many tires have gone away from dimples in the knobs..??..

Dunlop AT81 (756 replica)
https://motocrossactionmag.com/mxa-team-tested-dunlop-geomax-at81-front-tire/

Dunlop MX3S (formerly MX32)
https://motocrossactionmag.com/mxa-team-tested-dunlop-geomax-mx32-front-tire/

Offline Poolio

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Front Tires
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 05:22:09 PM »
I've had 28% less scraped elbows with the geomax mx32, now mx3s ? 
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning

Offline Fractured Vet

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.motovationsports.com
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 05:41:10 PM »
Why do you need a new front tire?  So it looks nice on the stand in your garage?
"The graveyards are full of indispensable men" -Charles de Gaulle

Offline langhammx

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 07:08:55 PM »
I've used both the MX32/3S and the AT81. Matter of fact I have one on each MX bike right now and an AT81 on my KTM500 D/S. The MX3S is the best tire for loamy tracks, IMO. But as you mentioned, it doesn't hold up too well on hard pack tracks.
On the other hand, the AT81 is an awesome all around tire and works good in most conditions. It doesn't last as long as I'd like it to, but definetly longer than the MX3S.

I used to us the Dunlop 752 front and back, long before the 756 became available, so I guess that makes me an "old guy" too.  :lol: I won't mention the Metzler front and M5B rears th at we all ran in the late 70's.  :lol:  :lol:

I have a couple hard packed tires in my garage that I'd give you to try, they have maybe one ride on them. They came on a set of wheels I bought and I don't ride much hardpack. I'm in Santa Clarita

The Bridgestone X30 tires work pretty good, but they are considerably heavier. They do last longer too, but I'm not sold on the cooling fins that just add weight to them
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:10:34 PM by langhammx »

Offline 6IX

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 11:34:40 AM »
Why do you need a new front tire?  So it looks nice on the stand in your garage?

Yeah, it's getting a little dull looking.  Was going to just slap some tire shine on there, but really want the vent spews back.  :lol: :lol: :shock: :P

Offline 6IX

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 11:35:39 AM »

On the other hand, the AT81 is an awesome all around tire and works good in most conditions. It doesn't last as long as I'd like it to, but definetly longer than the MX3S.

The Bridgestone X30 tires work pretty good, but they are considerably heavier. They do last longer too, but I'm not sold on the cooling fins that just add weight to them

I think you just sold it.  8)

Offline T Bones

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 11:48:41 AM »
Starcross 5 _  soft. Feels like a duncrap but last much longer and the side knobs don't split /  break off.  I mostly ride Gorman track which is awful on tires, never a problem.

Offline HEKTIC

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 11:20:33 PM »
The Michelin Starcross 5 series of tires is by far the best tires I have ever ridden. They have given me so much more confidence in the corners that I gave taken several seconds off my average lap times.

I know everybody likes a different feel and tires are a total confidence thing but I highly suggest people trying these tires! I personally like the soft pretty much everywhere even Milestone. The intermediate lasts a bit longer but the sidewall/knob flex and bite on the soft version fits my style perfect.

Offline crc245

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 08:34:56 AM »
The Michelin Starcross 5 series of tires is by far the best tires I have ever ridden. They have given me so much more confidence in the corners that I gave taken several seconds off my average lap times.

I know everybody likes a different feel and tires are a total confidence thing but I highly suggest people trying these tires! I personally like the soft pretty much everywhere even Milestone. The intermediate lasts a bit longer but the sidewall/knob flex and bite on the soft version fits my style perfect.

On the soft font and rear, what PSI are you guys running?

I've been at 13.5/14 PSI on front MX3S and 12/12.5 rear with best results. Similar PSI's on Pirelli MX32's (front higher than rear pressure)...

Offline HEKTIC

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 06:49:08 PM »
I have been running right around 13 lbs in the front and 14 in the back. You definitely need to run higher pressure with these tires than the other brands and I have noticed varying pressures even slightly change the performance quickly.

Offline racerxx

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 04:40:13 PM »
If you've been running the Bridgestone 403 front the Mx3s will blow you away in the softer conditions. They do wear faster but a good all around tire even on hardpack. I run 12.5 PSI. I like the Bridgestone X30 rear but didn't care for the front.
Oneal, Factory Effex, Gaerne, Renthal, ASV Levers, Noleen J6, Eks Brand

Offline racerxx

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 04:41:52 PM »
I've used both the MX32/3S and the AT81. Matter of fact I have one on each MX bike right now and an AT81 on my KTM500 D/S. The MX3S is the best tire for loamy tracks, IMO. But as you mentioned, it doesn't hold up too well on hard pack tracks.

I used to us the Dunlop 752 front and back, long before the 756 became available, so I guess that makes me an "old guy" too.  :lol: I won't mention the Metzler front and M5B rears th at we all ran in the late 70's.  :lol:  :lol:

I have a couple hard packed tires in my garage that I'd give you to try, they have maybe one ride on them. They came on a set of wheels I bought and I don't ride much hardpack. I'm in Santa Clarita

"I'll be right over" - Desto
Oneal, Factory Effex, Gaerne, Renthal, ASV Levers, Noleen J6, Eks Brand

Offline flmpkr661

• Amateur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 06:27:01 PM »
Golden 216AA Fatty..........oh wait, we talking moto?

Offline langhammx

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 08:29:45 PM »

"I'll be right over" - Desto
:lol:
I offered, but apparently now that he's making more money working, he's getting more picky.  :lol:

Offline DrtBkeDad

• Pro
  • I smoke 2 joints,then I smoke 2 joints.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 04:57:53 PM »
Golden 216AA Fatty..........oh wait, we talking moto?
That is a a bad ass tire