Author Topic: Ductile Iron Sleeves  (Read 6027 times)

Offline MXPSYCHODAD

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
Ductile Iron Sleeves
« on: October 16, 2014, 03:33:58 PM »
VS Nikasil

Is there any cons? I haven’t found any, just pros.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:35:33 PM by MXPSYCHODAD »

Offline walent215

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Ductile Iron Sleeves
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 04:15:22 AM »
I don't have any personal experience but have heard iron will wear out faster, or it will wear out the piston faster? not sure...im sure nickvalve or flipside will chime in with the correct answertho. 8)

Offline MXPSYCHODAD

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 09:25:03 AM »
I don't have any personal experience but have heard iron will wear out faster, or it will wear out the piston faster? not sure...im sure nickvalve or flipside will chime in with the correct answertho. 8)
The ductile has a (wear saver ?) property to it . It's all about the equal heat transfer? I'm no engeneer.
But something like that.
Wey ran them all last year. This year whatever.
I've been reading. Lol makes me dangerous.
Also used in F1

Offline PB68

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 07:03:27 PM »
The ductile has a (wear saver ?) property to it . It's all about the equal heat transfer? I'm no engeneer.
But something like that.
Also used in F1

Have you been hanging out with Spode again?

Offline nickvalve

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 08:52:36 AM »
You just have to run Iron Liner Rings , there is a debate over the cooling pro's and con's of liners and if they arent machined correctly the liners can move , Care must be taken when matching all the powervalve areas with a liner as well . Nikasil is my first choice for customers with iron liners being second ,and for my own use ,I go Nikasil .

Offline MXPSYCHODAD

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 01:56:08 PM »
But something like that.
Also used in F1

Ir a carpinter

Have you been hanging out with Spode again?

Offline MXPSYCHODAD

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 05:01:09 PM »
You just have to run Iron Liner Rings , there is a debate over the cooling pro's and con's of liners and if they arent machined correctly the liners can move , Care must be taken when matching all the powervalve areas with a liner as well . Nikasil is my first choice for customers with iron liners being second ,and for my own use ,I go Nikasil .

I thought with the ductile material you are able to run stock rings.
Wiseco says there rings work fine on Ductile.

“ Ductile has very similar wear properties as Nikasil but the tensile strength is 5 times higher which resist deforming and warping 5x better than aluminum. “ Thumper Racing
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 06:57:55 PM by MXPSYCHODAD »

Offline nickvalve

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 08:54:42 AM »
If they say regular rings work then I am totally fine with that , shouldnt be a problem . Thats how long its been since i even considered a liner , updated liner material [ or coating ] .

Offline moto314

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • REC MX
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 03:22:01 PM »
Iron bores run hotter and the steel expands at a different rates, nickel silicon carbide coatings are porous to hold oil better.
REC MX, JE Pistons, Rusk Racing, Yoshimura, Enzo Racing, Dubya Wheels, Asterisk, Rocket Performance, Seven, CCR Sport, & MMR

Offline MXPSYCHODAD

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 05:51:32 PM »
Hmmm
I was thinking with ductile I could just punch it to a 268 then 300 when I wanted with no worries, and no added cost.

Offline Spode

• Global Moderator
  • Pro
  • highest performacne Spode eva
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 09:53:32 AM »
i did a googler search came up with this

A properly sleeved cylinder will perform as well as any plated cylinder. A properly sleeved cylinder is one that has the proper interference fit, proper pre-sleeve bore finish, accurate flange machining, and sleeve made from the proper alloys. The most popular sleeve is the Moly 2000 chrome-moly iron. The proper boring and honing to match the piston clearance requirements goes without saying.

Re-Plated Cylinder Bore
Pros

*Small advantage in heat transfer

*Slightly better wear factor

*Somewhat lower co-efficient of friction

*Weighs a few ounces less

Cons

*Costs slightly more

*Can't be bored when damage occurs

*More fragile

*Can flake and peel

Iron Sleeved Cylinder Bore

Pros

*Costs less

*Bore able for future over sizes

*Hone able to keep bore true and proper ring seal

*Can be worked with common tools

*Can be replaced when needed

Cons

*Slightly slower heat transfer

The Bottom Line

Both systems perform equally well when professionally done, so it really comes down to economics. You can expect a sleeved cylinder to give more life for the money. Re-plated cylinders are as close to original as you can get. So if your happy with your OEM plated cylinder you should have it re-plated. If not have it sleeved by a company that has the reputation, experience, and warranties to protect your investment.

The missle
EX Factory team bike washer assistor
Bills Pool service
team Zundapp