Author Topic: Stripped oil drain bolt  (Read 4588 times)

Offline tesurf03

• Expert
    • View Profile
Stripped oil drain bolt
« on: March 23, 2012, 09:06:30 AM »
I have 2 bolts on my 2010 yz450 and one is almost not tightening,I looked at the threads and there looking stripped.Any fix that won't cost me $$$$$$$$
thanks:Oneal MX,Dragon,maxima oils, ,Tag Metals.,matrix concepts,Suomy helmets,MB1 and triumph united. 2010 yz450  black #71

Offline THE DON

• Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Stripped oil drain bolt
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 09:25:49 AM »
text,text and more text

Offline tesurf03

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 09:29:10 AM »
 :D anyone try a time sert,duct tape is my second option
thanks:Oneal MX,Dragon,maxima oils, ,Tag Metals.,matrix concepts,Suomy helmets,MB1 and triumph united. 2010 yz450  black #71

Offline Shamus

• Pro
  • Google Shawn's Peformance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 09:48:22 AM »

Timesert is good shit. Helicoil will get it done cheaper and easier though. But if I had both on the bench, Id use the timecert.
The meek shall inherit the earth - a scorched, un-inhabitable earth. Shawn's Performance- Engine and Suspension mods. Two stroke and four strokes.

Offline moto314

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • REC MX
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 09:55:03 AM »
time sert is the way to go!
REC MX, JE Pistons, Rusk Racing, Yoshimura, Enzo Racing, Dubya Wheels, Asterisk, Rocket Performance, Seven, CCR Sport, & MMR

Offline loudog

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 11:42:36 AM »
Be carefull with the time cert they are better but they require thicker metal around the hole because they are thicker.

805BTS

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 07:31:05 AM »
sell the bike. buy another one

Offline NACNAC#721

• Pro
  • Keep It Simple Stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 08:38:28 AM »
I have 2 bolts on my 2010 yz450 and one is almost not tightening,I looked at the threads and there looking stripped.Any fix that won't cost me $$$$$$$$

ughhh,i had same problem with one bolt. A reputable company in the high dez did a helicoil but it was slightly crooked so it weeped. Bought some copper gasket maker and put it on new bolt and it was fine.......... i later sold the pig. Yeah sure i could have fixed it with a new left side case but fuq that i was done with the bike anyway.
OLDRELIABLE144  IG

Offline amos

• Amateur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 04:20:07 PM »
I've had 2 buddies that did this.  They never replaced that compression ring drain plug gasket so it took more torque each time to get it tight, eventually stripped.  One guy found a bolt that was slightly larger in diameter then bought a tap to match.  He greased up the tap to catch the shavings and went really slow.  He was super cautious but it did the trick, and he had a usable drain plug.  I have no clue how much contamination entered the case but it was a solution.
Good luck.

Offline THE DON

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 10:51:21 AM »
Or you could use this bolt issue to justify buying a new bike, just saying.
text,text and more text

Offline oldschoolmxer

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 09:37:07 PM »

Timesert is good shit. Helicoil will get it done cheaper and easier though. But if I had both on the bench, Id use the timecert.