Author Topic: what would you have done different?  (Read 21654 times)

Offline docweedon

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
Re: what would you have done different?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 11:05:35 PM »
Doc, he had it in manual WB............freaking newbie's.......always gotta be phucking around in manual  :wink:

Velvia was good stuff. I think I still have a couple rolls around someplace  :lol:

:lol: Blame Slowdad. That friggin tutorial he posted has me looking at all kinds of $hit.  :lol:

Manual WB is good n all, but the camera is better at setting it than you are...let it do some of the work for ya while you concentrate on other things...  :P

Blue, I found some Sensia 50 slide film today while digging through my boxes in storage.  Now..if only I had a film camera to shoot with...
10% Discount to all ProRide Members!
PM me for details
-DocWeedon, www.bajadesigns.com

Offline PCD771

• Peicks
  • Pro
  • I have too many hobbies to be good at any of them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 11:11:11 PM »
Doc, he had it in manual WB............freaking newbie's.......always gotta be phucking around in manual  :wink:

Velvia was good stuff. I think I still have a couple rolls around someplace  :lol:

:lol: Blame Slowdad. That friggin tutorial he posted has me looking at all kinds of $hit.  :lol:

Manual WB is good n all, but the camera is better at setting it than you are...let it do some of the work for ya while you concentrate on other things...  :P

Blue, I found some Sensia 50 slide film today while digging through my boxes in storage.  Now..if only I had a film camera to shoot with...

I totally get what you're saying. I played with the ideas a tutorial gave me and never realized it was never set back.  :lol: Man I am such a newb.

Offline docweedon

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 11:13:20 PM »

I totally get what you're saying. I played with the ideas a tutorial gave me and never realized it was never set back.  :lol: Man I am such a newb.

Even pros forget to set things back every now n then don't feel bad.  8)

Where was that second pic taken?
PM me for details

Offline Blue622

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 11:13:29 PM »

I still have a A-2E. The grip is breaking down & getting sticky  :x But the camera works perfect............has a 5 year old roll of velvia in it  :lol: :lol:

......and leave the damn WB alone. It will be right 70% of the time. The other 30%..........see the "Temp" setting in Lightroom.....

Offline PCD771

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 11:16:56 PM »

Even pros forget to set things back every now n then don't feel bad.  8)

Where was that second pic taken?

About 30 yards from my house, on the edge of a basket ball court.  They are some pretty cool trees.

Offline PCD771

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2009, 11:20:17 PM »

I still have a A-2E. The grip is breaking down & getting sticky  :x But the camera works perfect............has a 5 year old roll of velvia in it  :lol: :lol:

......and leave the damn WB alone. It will be right 70% of the time. The other 30%..........see the "Temp" setting in Lightroom.....

Understood.

Offline docweedon

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 11:23:15 PM »

I still have a A-2E. The grip is breaking down & getting sticky  :x But the camera works perfect............

Ahh Blue...your killin me...I had the A2 as well...it was my first "real" camera, other than borrowing my friends AE-1 to learn on.  I miss my A2.  :(

Eric, at least you have good subjects around your house.  Now lets see some more ...
PM me for details

slowdad

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 05:32:20 AM »
Ran out of day light for the second assignment, but here is another from today. This plant is atleast coming to life.  :lol:

and for all you guys that think f/4 glass doesnt produce good background blur..this is a perfect example of how good a job this lens does. i use it all the time,,and i have the f/2.8(is).
lmao,,blame slowdad :lol: :lol: for my white balance,,,,,to fricken funny. go get a grey card and learn to shoot custom white balance :lol: :shock: :shock:

really,,leave it in awb until you get things figured out 8). good examples of depth of field, put it at f/8 and watch what the oppiset affect will be. as blue just said, you need to keep your shutter speed above 160 with that lens if your hand holding. so only bump your iso when you need to increase your shutter speed for now.

write this down someplace and take it with you everytime you go out and shoot for the next 3 months. it will burn in brain and become 2nd nature for you. this comes from a master photog with 30 years experience and he shot models for cosmetic company's for his career. its his KISS system and it really works

f-stops---    2.8,,,,,4.0,,,,,,,,5.6,,,,,,8.0,,,,11,,,,,,,16

shutter speeds 1/500,,, 1/250...1/125,,1/60,,,,1/30

all of those f/stops and shutter speeds account for about 90% of our settings--there are exceptions but not many

exceptions on this board  are sports shooters who need to keep shutter speeds above 800  to freeze action

so now you can use you iso settings to keep shutter speed and f/stops in those given areas. it really has helped me tremendously. i carry a lightmeter with me everywhere and when i photograph a person, blows me away how close those numbers actually are after i measure ambiant light and start setting up.

other good numbers that always work........but you have to shoot  manual flash b/t an 1/8--1/16 and thats where the light meter comes into play. use can use the histogram and viewfinder and get pretty dam close

shade--- ---f/4.0 at 1/125
backlit------f/8.0 at 1/125
sidelighting--f/11 at 125-got to fill from the shady side probably less than a 16th-tricky
daylight----f/16 daylight rule always apply. i photograph people at f/16 at 1/125 and use my flash to fill  below a 16th and get unbelievable daylight shots, really works very well.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 05:42:26 AM by slowdad »

Offline JOe399

• Pro
  • Since 03 always an OG.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 04:43:59 PM »
btw, first thing my photog teacher told me...dont shoot any f'n plants or you will just look like every beginner out there  :lol:

Offline PCD771

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 04:49:58 PM »
btw, first thing my photog teacher told me...dont shoot any f'n plants or you will just look like every beginner out there  :lol:

Busted.   :lol:

Offline docweedon

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2009, 05:42:12 PM »

Valid, but flowers are great macro material.
PM me for details

slowdad

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 05:22:08 AM »

Valid, but flowers are great macro material.

so are bugs 8)

Offline BrownDogWilson

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
    • BrownDogWilson.com
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 01:09:10 PM »
"To much magenta"?  Cmon Blue,,,I was just basing the colors off of the exact same flower I saw in the deepest jumgle of Africa,,,How do you know how magenta there really is?? You are killing me here! :lol:  I was bored at lunch a few days ago and the school I taught at had a rose garden in their entry,,,,Let me have it Blue!

Offline Fractured Vet

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.motovationsports.com
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 01:10:44 PM »
"To much magenta"?  Cmon Blue,,,I was just basing the colors off of the exact same flower I saw in the deepest jumgle of Africa,,,How do you know how magenta there really is?? You are killing me here! :lol:  I was bored at lunch a few days ago and the school I taught at had a rose garden in their entry,,,,Let me have it Blue!

Blue will like it, it's white.
"The graveyards are full of indispensable men" -Charles de Gaulle

Offline BrownDogWilson

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
    • BrownDogWilson.com
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 01:16:45 PM »
Oh shiet, it's white!  It was supposed to be lavender! :lol: