Author Topic: Is Pro Taper out of business?  (Read 1209 times)

Offline yzernie

• Expert
    • View Profile
Is Pro Taper out of business?
« on: March 29, 2024, 04:13:40 PM »
Trying to find some parts to rebuild my SELA and not able to find a thing.  Not even anything on eBay, MX Locker, Craigslist...nothing.

Offline Fractured Vet

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.motovationsports.com
"The graveyards are full of indispensable men" -Charles de Gaulle

Offline yzernie

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Is Pro Taper out of business?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2024, 09:12:13 AM »
https://tuckerpowersports.com/pages/protaper#:~:text=Over%2030%20years%20later%2C%20they,here%20at%20our%20official%20website.
Yeah, found that but it doesn't list parts like the old site did.  Heard they recently got bought out.  All of the big places like RMMC, Chaparrel, etc., don't have any devices in stock.  Must be a tough time for the company

Offline 6IX

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 06:35:54 PM »
Instagram still active citing Eli's most recent win...

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5OJnXAMMWX/?hl=en&img_index=1

Offline Huxley

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 07:18:19 AM »

Offline Zeke27G

• Peicks
  • Pro
  • Do It In The Dirt!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 07:40:39 AM »

Trophybug19, for those of you who remember him, was at Disneyland with his family a half dozen years ago, and he happened to be wearing a red t-shirt with a big Pro-Taper logo plastered across the front. He kept getting stares and winks from questionable dudes, who also happened to be wearing red t-shirts. So he asked a staff member what the deal was...turns out it was "wear red if you're gay" day at Disneyland! He quickly went into a Quiksilver shop and bought a blue t-shirt to wear for the rest of the day! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline jAkE48

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 11:18:27 AM »
Trying to find some parts to rebuild my SELA and not able to find a thing.  Not even anything on eBay, MX Locker, Craigslist...nothing.

Just went through the same ordeal looking for some bars.  It seems they still haven't got their shiat together

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/moto-related/pro-taper-bars

BTW - Be careful buying anything ProTaper off of Ebay or Amazon.  Lots of Chicom knockoffs out there...  If the price is too good to be true - it's Chinatown

I ended up calling around and eventually found a new old stock set.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 08:48:50 PM by jAkE48 »

Offline yzernie

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2024, 09:25:41 AM »
Interesting...

What's up guys! Figured I would hop on here and add some context to this.

So as many of you know, Tucker Powersports has had some major financial issues over the past few years, mostly due to poor leadership. Personally, myself and my team have worked with Tucker since 2017 mainly on the ProTaper and Answer brands so I know this all too well. Earlier this year they decided to not pay their invoices to us, and the majority of the other vendors, teams, athletes, etc that they use to help run their company. Week after week we were all assured that things would be paid and we were all at the "top of the list" to be paid.

Shortly later we then come to find out they sold all the brands to Turn 14, which is great and probably a positive move as far as the brands go. In that sale, they only sold the assets and not the debt so there is $32,000,000 in debt that is owed to hundreds of small companies including mine, and also including the manufacturer of the Pro Taper products, this is why they have no product in stock. When I confronted the Tucker CFO in person he looked me straight in the face and said "yeah we aren't paying any of that, you might as well call it a loss".

The fact of the matter is, the executive group that ran these brands lied to everyone, made the books look super profitable to the new group, took home nice bonuses for the sale, then screwed everyone over in the process. These same people that made these shady moves now work for the new company.

I know my part in this ordeal is tiny compared to some of the big players that are owed money, but my voice in the matter is all that I have and I will stand up for what is right every time. 

I am by no means into "cancel culture" but this happens way too much in this little industry with no consequences, and this is another prime example of that.

All of this info, including their debts and who they owe money to is all public, feel free to google it, you'd be surprised at the names / companies you see on there.

Offline freds4

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2024, 10:19:48 AM »
Interesting...

What's up guys! Figured I would hop on here and add some context to this.

So as many of you know, Tucker Powersports has had some major financial issues over the past few years, mostly due to poor leadership. Personally, myself and my team have worked with Tucker since 2017 mainly on the ProTaper and Answer brands so I know this all too well. Earlier this year they decided to not pay their invoices to us, and the majority of the other vendors, teams, athletes, etc that they use to help run their company. Week after week we were all assured that things would be paid and we were all at the "top of the list" to be paid.

Shortly later we then come to find out they sold all the brands to Turn 14, which is great and probably a positive move as far as the brands go. In that sale, they only sold the assets and not the debt so there is $32,000,000 in debt that is owed to hundreds of small companies including mine, and also including the manufacturer of the Pro Taper products, this is why they have no product in stock. When I confronted the Tucker CFO in person he looked me straight in the face and said "yeah we aren't paying any of that, you might as well call it a loss".

The fact of the matter is, the executive group that ran these brands lied to everyone, made the books look super profitable to the new group, took home nice bonuses for the sale, then screwed everyone over in the process. These same people that made these shady moves now work for the new company.

I know my part in this ordeal is tiny compared to some of the big players that are owed money, but my voice in the matter is all that I have and I will stand up for what is right every time. 

I am by no means into "cancel culture" but this happens way too much in this little industry with no consequences, and this is another prime example of that.

All of this info, including their debts and who they owe money to is all public, feel free to google it, you'd be surprised at the names / companies you see on there.

Yeah, ProTaper has been dead to me for a while now and this makes me feel good about my decision. Renthal is my company now.
AOT
TwinAir
Factory Seat                       
Dunlop
FactoryBacking
Acerbis                                       
Slick        
EvoMX
Leatt
Ogio
GoPro
Flow Vision
Arma Sport
Renthal
Tamer MX
Klean Freak

Offline langhammx

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2024, 09:00:43 PM »
Cycle Gear just got a bunch of Pro-Taper bars in stock. I ordered 6- pairs for the future, they

Offline motohawk

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2024, 09:03:31 PM »
Cycle Gear just got a bunch of Pro-Taper bars in stock. I ordered 6- pairs for the future, they

Really? What bends? I got Renthal honda hi bend because I couldn't find any pro taper.
Matt

Offline Racerray909

• Global Moderator
  • Pro
  • ProValve Motocross Service "SDA"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2024, 10:11:18 PM »
I really like their pillow top grips.  Scott

Offline Eds87Honda

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2024, 10:13:20 PM »
At your local Cycle Gear, or online?

I could only find Pro Taper ATV bars available at cyclegear.com.

Offline Zeke27G

• Peicks
  • Pro
  • Do It In The Dirt!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2024, 06:22:41 AM »

At your local Cycle Gear, or online?

I could only find Pro Taper ATV bars available at cyclegear.com.

For some clarity here, yes...Langham rides a quad.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2024, 10:19:22 AM »
I really like their pillow top grips.  Scott

They are nice, I used my first pair last Saturday. They lasted about 3 laps till drove them into a rock wall on my 2nd and final lap. :(