Author Topic: Linkage arms ?  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Dirt Addict

• Pro
  • Fortune favors the bold...
    • View Profile
Linkage arms ?
« on: October 11, 2014, 09:41:05 AM »
Does anyone use a lowering linkage on their bike?  Besides lowering the bike, what are the effects?

Offline flipside

• Pro
  • N2dirtsuspension
    • View Profile
    • N2dirtsuspension
Re: Linkage arms ?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 11:34:07 AM »
Does anyone use a lowering linkage on their bike?  Besides lowering the bike, what are the effects?

Linkage changes the leverage ratio on the rear shock. Most modern bikes generally range from 3.1 to 4.0 in the initial part of the range. A shorter or longer length will changes that.

Keep in mind that it does lower the bike but does nothing to limit the travel.

Offline Dirt Addict

• Pro
  • Fortune favors the bold...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 12:11:58 PM »

Linkage changes the leverage ratio on the rear shock. Most modern bikes generally range from 3.1 to 4.0 in the initial part of the range. A shorter or longer length will changes that.

Thanks Brian.  Have you ridden a bike with one?  I'm looking a PC unit for a ktm.... looking to get a more plush feeling in the initial part of the stroke

Offline flipside

• Pro
  • N2dirtsuspension
    • View Profile
    • N2dirtsuspension
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 01:34:31 PM »

Thanks Brian.  Have you ridden a bike with one?  I'm looking a PC unit for a ktm.... looking to get a more plush feeling in the initial part of the stroke

Yes. However I think a re-valve is going to be the best change. Lowering link is will affect handling adversely. Not a lot of people are using the links for KTM.

Offline langhammx

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 08:37:56 PM »

Yes. However I think a re-valve is going to be the best change. Lowering link is will affect handling adversely. Not a lot of people are using the links for KTM.
Agree, I'd stay away from the lowering link. The WP shock works great, if you get the valving right.

Offline nickvalve

• Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 09:04:07 AM »
Plus and maybe even more important / as Flip advises , a re-valve is in order with a link and the reason is ,  the link accelerates the end of the stroke so much it upsets the 'natural' progression of the final stages of bottoming and rebound . I as you all know am not a big fan of links , choosing instead to put a limiter inside the shock body ,limiters do not change the link to swingarm relationship , using a limiter [ within reason]doesnt noticeably change anything except ride height.

Offline RacerDad

• Peicks
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 08:14:46 PM »
I have one on my 2014 YZ450 & like it. (short legs)